18 hp briggs and stratton smoking

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 18 hp briggs and stratton smoking

bad fuel pump could be the cause of gas in your oil.

Me too! small engines are strange creatures!

Thanks will be testing the compression tonight, if it all checks out will run it at what maybe half throttle for 20 minutes?

racerone I pulled the plug and turned it over there is still good spark at that plug?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    make sure the plug is good on the back cylinder and that it is firing through the plug. If so, then run a compression test and see what that cylinder reads. Check the compression on both cylinders for comparison purposes.

There was another thread on here recently about rising oil level and oil in the breather of an engine. I'll try to find it and post it for you. I think it had some good instructions that may relate to your issue.

Here's one link that discusses issues that may be helpful to you, although a different engine: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...-fuel-oil.html
    Here's another link: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...series-ii.html
    Just did a compression test on the motor a hair under 90 on the front cylinder and about 165 on back cylinder?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    This is normal operation, if I understand what you are asking. When the rocker arms are "up" the valve is closed. On the compression stroke, both the intake and exhaust valves are closed (thus both rocker arms are even); otherwise you will have no compression. The other cylinder will be on a different stroke (say intake for example) which requires the intake valve to be open and the exhaust valve to be closed. When a valve is closed there is a small amount of play (clearance) in the valve train which allows you to spin the push rod and will allow for some slack in the rocker arm.

The smoking problem is likely not related to the valve train based on your description. If the oil level was too high and had gas in it you need to look for a problem with the carb (flooding and dumping fuel in the intake) or fuel pump if it has a vacuum driven pump. It can have an internal failure and gas can be drawn into the vacuum line and into the engine. You changed the oil and the oil level is good. I would clean the oil out of the intake, make sure the spark plugs are good and run it for a while. Keep an eye on the oil level. If the oil level stays where it should, but the engine keeps smoking, then dig further.

What color was the smoke?
    Just did a compression test on the motor a hair under 90 on the front cylinder and about 165 on back cylinder? the smoke is white

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper Dano View Post
    Just did a compression test on the motor a hair under 90 on the front cylinder and about 165 on back cylinder? the smoke is white
    Adjust the valves, one may be too tight allowing some compression to escape. Redo test.

BTW when we bent a pushrod our machine smoked violently.
    Last edited by ARGOJIM; 04-25-2017 at 10:04 PM.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Adjust the valves, one may be too tight allowing some compression to escape. Redo test.

Checked the push rods they are all straight. picked up a feeler gauge but wont get a chance to work on the machine again until Thursday night likely, will check all the valves and set them all the same between .004 and .006 Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post

Snuck out of work at lunch. Checked the tappets adjusted one a tiny amoumt all are .004 did a new compression test still 90 in the front cylinder and 170 in the back. Could it be my compression relief?

Got out to the garage tonight and pulled the head that had the head that read 170 compression. Took so.easy photos of the head and the valve springs and guide. I think it might be a valvr guide? Is there a way to post photos here?

+ Reply to Thread