23HP Vanguard Build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 23HP Vanguard Build

23HP Vanguard Build

Ok I have lurked around this sight for some time own a couple of golf carts with vanguard power and always on the look out for 6x6 or 8x8 if the right deal comes by me. But here is my current project I found a deal on a new in the box 23HP motor I decided I would want more power from it as I have the 18hp in the cart now with the heads cut down, slight porting, Rev kit, PVT cam, 2 barrel carb on it now. So on this new motor I bought the intec flat top pistons, cheetah cam, ported the heads, Cromwell carb, ARC rods stock length, ec carbs dual valve springs, PVT SS valves, so far I think that is it.

20170202_175733.jpg20170315_185958.jpg20170320_173418.jpg20170417_151152.jpg20170331_154017.jpg

Nice work. What kind of HP do you think you'll end up making?

Not sure I would hope 30hp is obtainable.

20170419_212553.jpg20170419_212544.jpg20170419_212531.jpg20170317_160703.jpg
    Here are the heads I ported for this motor.
    I also bought the old style heads and was thinking of taking the rockers and retro fitting them to the newer heads but I for the life of me can not come up with a spare set in case I ever break one.

I am kind of at a stop with these trying to find someone to cut the valve guides for clearance but I want to retain the intake valve seal. Any one have any idea of a cutter I can buy to do this with? My dimensions are Valve stem is .235 or 6mm for the guide, Valve guide outside dimension is .490 and the outside portion of the aluminum boss that surrounds the guide is .600 Any help much appreciated.

Most porting/head work is easier with the valve guide removed, end mill the casting boss down to were you want. install the guide and mill for retainer clearance, ream guide and cut the seats in.

Thanks Nubs after looking if I tap the guide down till it is flush in the head then I can cut the boss and guide at the same time then push the guide back up until I have the desired height. Does that sound ok and should I use some green loctight on the guide ?

That could be done seeing that there new heads, using a press would be better then pounding them back and forth with those brigg's install drivers etc.
    using Loctite can't hurt but will do little since the guide is only moving a small amount in my opinion

Ok thanks Nubs will do. On valve job do you ever put a 30deg back cut on the intake valves? Sorry for all the ?s but it looks like you know these things pretty well by looking at your builds.

Thanks Nubs got it done.

+ Reply to Thread