Why you bought your first 6x6, 8x8!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Why you bought your first 6x6, 8x8!

I like to have something a little different from everybody else and nothing else out there (not without major modifications) is amphibious.

My story is that when I was 24 I was thinking about buying a 4-wheeler because the old lawn mower that I had modified to use in the woods for various duties like pulling a trailer and low speed adventure was just not cutting it anymore. I was driving it out of the woods after a day of paintball wars when my then future wife whom I married the next year who was sitting in my lap said "You need to get something bigger. So I started to drink the Kool Aid like everyone else in Virginia and was looking for a 4x4 quad. I was driving to a job site and passed a used car dealership in my hometown and saw a Max II and IV sitting out front. I then passed the same dealer on my way back and they were not out front anymore. So after I clocked out that day, I went back up there and went inside. I asked the owner what those things were out front and where they were. He said "Oh, they are in the back, come on and look at them." Within a week I had a $10,000 loan from my bank, who was confused why they didn't have an actual title, and went up to the dealer to buy my new 2000 Max IV. Within a year, the dealer had two of his Max's stolen and decided to get out of the 6x6 business and just sell cars. So, I don't have alot of peers around to ride with, but my Max would be the last thing I sell. I like things that are different and I bought it because I could fit 4 people, use it as a boat for fishing, ride in the woods, and drive it anywhere I wanted too. The first thing I did with it was destroy my father's yard by turning it around. I am so glad that car lot had this because I had never seen one before at all and I would have been stuck with a 4 wheeler.
    Borrowing tools is for the weak.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Max IV, 25hp Kohler Command, 26" Titan Tru Power AT's
    1996 Max IV, 18hp Briggs, 24" Serwas
    1998 Max IV (project in waiting)
    1995/1999 Max II, 16hp Briggs, 21" Rawhides
    Hustler 950 (Project in waiting)

I used to spend a bit of time around the highlands in loch Lomond, Scotland, and I would always see people going up in their quads for hunting around the local mountains. I would then also have a bit of a laugh as they slid into some of the boggier areas-which they sure didn't slide back out of- and the owner would have to wallow around in the mud trying to drag it out, however, one of these times the guy was really stuck and a short phone call later something that twelve year old me could only describe as a miniature tank crested the hill, ploughed through this wheel-arch deep mud to then proceed to drag said quad bike back out onto the heather. a little later I saw that these seemingly magical things could float around on the loch as well and I was hooked. four years later I finally got a hold of one for use around the family forest and I have to say it goes everywhere my quad could not, even climbs hills the poor thing would probably roll backwards down.

I've seen them in the Banana Splits show when I wws little. Cool stuff. Many years later
    I saw a Max add in an outdoor magazine. I told my wife someday I want to buy one.
    Eighteen years later we bought an Avenger simply because it was for sale in my town. Excellent
    shape. Excellent price. But it wasn't a Max II. We sold it and bought a Max IV. Excellent
    shape, excellent price.
    Someday I'll add a Max II. Its always been my favorite.

Picture worth 1000 word thing. 18" of ice in 18' of water. I'm luck the sled belly hung up on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    Picture worth 1000 word thing. 18" of ice in 18' of water. I'm luck the sled belly hung up on the ice.

That looks cold. I'm glad you didn't get seriously hurt or dead from that. Ice is never easy to judge, and can go wrong very fast. Just make sure you got those drain plugs in your aatv when you go out with it. They only float so well without them, and apparently you have a not so good track record with ice.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Well Drew, I did this one myself. I've spent a lot of time on big water ice and this was the one time I hesitated crossing a crack. Could have been a costly mistake for sure. Oh and the first thing I check on saturday before I started running the argo on the ice was the plugs.

Harley

b
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Think I may remember you, white RZR? 1-1/2 2 years ago along the N.E. corner?

Being the youngest in our hunting group, I'm responsible for dragging out the deer, and now with moose and caribou hunting my back won't handle the abuse while they spend hrs coming up with different ways of getting the animal out of the bush/swamp. Now with the argo I just drag it to the trailer, and they can do what they like with it...lol

+ Reply to Thread