Why you bought your first 6x6, 8x8!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why you bought your first 6x6, 8x8!

Why you bought your first 6x6, 8x8!

I thought it would be interesting to find out why people decide to buy these great little machines.

My reason was probably based on practicality more than anything, but it sure is fun too. After our third blizzard this past winter and being completely snowed in with drifts 6 and 7 feet deep and up to a quarter mile long on our road, I decided that we needed a way to at least get to the highway. After looking around I came across the ARGO with 18" tracks and the decision was made. We probably won't have that much snow for the next decade but in the mean time I'm liking it!! I've tried to add a couple of pic's that shows why we thought we NEEDED a 6x6. Hope it works.
    Attached Images

I bought my Max IV , 6x6 for going places that I always wanted to with my 4-wheeler, but never could.

I am still not sure. Maybe if i ever get to drive it for more than 20 min. it will grow on me.

when i was 11 years old, i was fishing in a pond at my aunts house... this guy came bombing down the road and splashed into the pond... somehow drove over the pond and out the other side... I had to have one! about 20 years later i stumbled upon them on the web. bought my first machine the next week. 3 years and 11 machines later, i think i'm hooked
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I was up on the mountain by tucson when i was about 12 and seen this six wheeler thing..
    It was hauling butt and did a 360 in front of me in the snow..i was in aww..never forgot it..
    Then one day i seen one in a mag. And bought it......awsome..

The Banana Splits show!!
    I watched the show with genuine enthusiasm just to see a glimpse of these incredible machines. At the time go-karts and min-bikes were the dominant feature around our little neck of the woods. Some were lucky to have them and we could catch a ride with these guys from time to time....but the banana splits machine was the ultimate!!!!!! But they never appeared in our area. Was fortunate enough to see a Banana split and his vehicle in a Christmas Parade one year. The character had the Banana outfit on and the machine was running over light bulbs to show how soft the tires were. Still no machines in our area. Soon work,drivers license, girls, dating, hot rods, wife, military, children.....etc......filled my life. Bought a couple 3 wheelers did a bunch of riding but still had the want for a Banana buggy. Thinking that they had all gone the way of the dinosaur i did not pursue the interest. About 3 years ago i was looking for some adventure and i wanted a HARLEY. Talked, looked and was just about to buy one from a friend at a very good price but thought i might get the wife on-board with this. She was to say the least "not impressed". We had done some riding in our younger days, wind in our hair running wild on the highway. I guess that time was over.... i could not get her to budge to get on this machine. She never said i could not have it but i could see that this was of great concern to her. So on the way home we passed the Argo dealership which is owned by a personal friend and stopped in for a chat. To back up a bit a day or so earlier i had mentioned how i would like to have a Argo but said nothing else about it. Just by chance there was a used machine at his store to be sold. Subject of the conversation got to the machines so my friend invited me to take it for a spin. Never drove one and wasn't sure of the price range which had not been discussed......next thing i knew my wife was saying drive it, drive it, the whole time nudging me to the machine. Practically knocked me into the machine. As i drove off with a massive grin on my face i turned around and saw a smile on my wife's face. On the ride home it was Argo(1)......Harley0). With a smile on her face she confirmed that this was the machine she was happy for me to have.....and you know, i was too. Through the purchase of this machine i have meet a great group of people and have never given the Harley a second thought.

I was always interested in these neat looking buggies that seemed to be able to go anywhere but never seemed to need one until a couple of years ago.
    I am part owner in two hunting camps in this area,one I can drive to within 1/4 mile by vehicle, the other has to be accessed by boat.These camps are about 2miles apart as the crow flies.
    We all know what boating conditions can be like in November,Anyways while coming back across the lake one Sunday morning it was about 10 below celsius and snowing fairly hard with a very strong wind blowing straight at us we were about 2 miles into a 5 mile ride when we noticed we were icing up bad and the spray was filling the boat,looking for the bailing can but it must have blown out.We couldn't get enough speed up to pull the plug to drain the water because the waves were to big.The only option was to turn and head for the closest point of land.By the time we got back to land the boat actually sank before we could lift the motor in 3 ft. of water.We were both to cold to do much more than walk around the lake on an icy shoreline.To make a long story shorter, I am sitting in a steaming hot bath with my hunting cap still frozen to my hair thinking how lucky we were and how I am going to get to that camp without going by boat,THEN I REMEMBERED THE ARGO.Now I can go across the big heath that separates the two camps.

Little more than two years ago I had no knowledge of these. I'd seen Argos, but not interested. I have always been heavily into anything outdoors, from boating/swimming/fishing, to Hiking climbing Biking and Off-Road/ATV/Dirtbike. I had nice trails behind my house, leading to many many miles of trails I can take to other counties but beavers made the stream their home and built a dam. So my trails are under 1-8+ feet of water, and what was muddy around a stream is a swamp now. A friend of mine tried to take his Polaris 4x4 thru it, got about 15 feet and just SANK. Another friend (Jimmy, on here as Mogman) saw it and said "I have something that will go thru your swamp" Those words changed my hobbies probably forever (And no other words uttered to me have cost me so much $$$ either, will probably stay that way, well untill a girl says "Yes"). I bought his Attex (Never heard of the company before then) and proceeded to fix a huge crack, and various other things. I planned on making a float with 55 gallon drums to ferry ATV's across for riding, but as I started driving it I realized it's much more fun than expected. So forget the ferry Idea, I'm just driving THIS! And after blasting thru mud-holes at Busco Beach, I'm thoroughly impressed with what they can do! Two years later with an Attex Racer in the works, and most of a Superchief (Just need S.C. Frame and engine mount) and I see why few people own just one of these for long.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Hi Marshall, are others hogging the riding time or are you just too busy with life's chores? I hope you can find the time to ride. There is a certain feeling of power that comes over you when you can go thru or over places that you never were able to before. I use mine a lot just feeding our horses. With the snow melt (see pics) the ground is just absolute mush and slime now and riding thru that instead of walking is pure pleasure! I put a piece of plywood across the back seat and use it to haul hay & that's much easier than carrying bales while struggling thru mud.

Sooooo, all you need to do is mention Harley & adventure...... Good plan and well executed!! Seriously, having been a life long motorcycle rider I did reach the point that I had to think of others first. My 5 year old grandson was taking way to much interest in my bike and I really didn't ride but a few hours a month anymore so I decided to try to direct his attention to other, less risky interests. I sold the bike and started letting him ride with me on the tractors & backhoe. Once he saw what a backhoe could do he lost interest in the bike also. We would find a small dead tree in the woods & I would let him "man" the controls and push it over! He still talks about that sometimes but never mentions the bike now that he's 11. If I had only known about 6x6 back then!! But you know what, I still carry the Motorcycle sticker on my drivers license for some reason. I guess I'm hanging on to the past.

+ Reply to Thread