Max vs Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max vs Argo

Max vs Argo

I am not looking at pitting the two against each other, Max vs Argo (Ford vs Chevy lol), but looking for similarities, strong and weak points of each. My plan was to purchase a Max in the near future but thought maybe I should not rule out the Argos since they pop up in my searches. I guess I am partial to the Max since we had one growing up. The main goal of whatever I buy is to introduce non off roaders to the joys of off road riding in a safe way. (meaning they won't be driving and will be wearing helmets). Machine would be used on long trail rides (groomed and off the beaten path), snow, an occasional float and in the sand. Please include if you are referring to a Max II or IV, Argo 6x6 or 8x8. Thanks in advance. I love this site!

Well like you said they both have there strong points ,,,I like the Max IV ,,I ment to say ,,love ,,it .This Max has done every thing that I want it to do and then some ,,we have put a lot of up grades but that just what I like doing to mine .I think Max or Argo will do you just fine ,,just find the one that fits what you need . Have fun ,,
    Max IV has a high out put heater,custom cab, windshield wiper,suspension seat,new hydraulic brakes ,cargo rack on the front ,,,and I'm loving every minute of this .

this been discussed quite a bit on here. here is one old thread on the subject http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...vs-max-vs.html If you use the search you will find several.
    your best bet would be to find some local riders in your area and see if you can test drive one of each. All of the machines in my fleet are T-20 based machines (max among others....) but I love the ARGO's as well. for me it's a matter of cost. I could probably buy a nice used Avenger for the money I have in the 5 machines currently on the property. Both types have there strong points and take a very different driving style. Every time we get together to ride there will be a mud hole that sticks one type of machine and the other is able to drive through... the next hole the tables may be turned. I think the max is a little better in tight trails because it's slightly smaller and there fore more manuverable.... again, it depends a lot on the type of riding and what you need the machine to do.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Agree 100%. A skilled driver in an old beater will often out maneuver a novice who's got a brand-new machine with all the bells & whistles. What brand/model you "should" buy is truly a matter of personal taste - and how deep your fun money pool is too, LOL. I have a Max II and Max IV. Love the looks and tight-spot maneuverability of the II, but the comfort and power (25hp Kolhler) of the IV beat the littel guy hands down. The added safety of a full roll cage vs. a simple bar is another big plus when carrying passengers. There seem to be a lot of good deals lately on lightly-used new-ish Max IV's so save your pennies and keep your eyes peeled! Whatever you end up getting, just remember to take care of it and it'll take care of you. Have fun!!!

Since MightyMaxIV posted about his new ARGO, haven't things changed with the NEW Admiral Transmission? I am seriously thinking about selling my Hot Rod MaxIV for an Argo? Any thoughts, suggestions, comments welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by fulleraviation View Post
    Since MightyMaxIV posted about his new ARGO, haven't things changed with the NEW Admiral Transmission?
    I live in Argoland and own the only MAX within a 200 miles range; both have strong points and both do the job. The newer admiral tranny is a lot better but still love the 4 front facing places and shorter wheel base of my max IV. Also, the MAX IV have larger bearings than non-hd argo and don't ask me why but the chains are cheaper 520 but seams to last longer in my max than the massive double-50 chains in my previous argo (could be related to the smoother turning-by-clutching of the t-20 versus the hit-the-brake-to-turn in the argo)
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

I've been looking into these machines for a few years now. I tend to do a lot of reading/research/observations prior to buying anything. Unfortunately, a test drive of each machine is what we all need prior to purchase but this is often impossible. When it comes to Max vs Argo this is what I see. Both are very capable machines and I think I would be happy with either but, the lack of innovation/improvement of the Max makes me wonder if this company is sinking while argo is growing. I take excellent care of products I buy so having access to new parts in 20 years is important to me. I feel a bit safer with argo over max in this area. I could be completely wrong on this and I realize there is never a guarantee...but I like to see machines evolve with time.

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-13-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whipper-ag View Post
    Max has been around for over 40 years. In that time they have made plenty of improvements , IF needed. They really are great machines.
    Good point. 40 plus years does speak for itself No reason to reinvent the wheel!

Argo , also, has been around for some time, too, but they are totally different from a Max.
    Considering all your experience with these machines I'm curious what you mean by this.

The offer still stands. Anytime you want to give a stock Max II or stock Max IV a spin & I can get member Benrich to have his Argo available, you can try them all.

Whipper
    I remember the offer and very much appreciate it. I would love to come by and see a max. The problem is I'm not in the position to buy one right now and I fee like I would be taking advantage of your time and resources.

+ Reply to Thread