Electric 6 wheeler?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: Electric 6 wheeler?

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    Seems too simple for someone with your resources. You should build one that runs on potato power. You probably will need a big trailer to connect all them taters together to turn the motors enough to get the 6x6 to move, but that shouldn't be a problem.
    Hahahaha I thought this was going to be an easy project. The more I've been researching, the harder it's become. There's tons of choices on motors, batteries, final drive, range, etc. I'll add potatoes to the list. Maybe I can run the headlights off those?

delete
    Last edited by lewie72; 10-25-2014 at 09:37 PM.

delete

delete

Um, yeah, that's me and those videos are already linked in this thread.

hey sorry I didn't read the 23 pages of posts I thought I seen it some where other than here before so I linked it

Quote Originally Posted by Nick O. View Post
    Hahahaha I thought this was going to be an easy project. The more I've been researching, the harder it's become. There's tons of choices on motors, batteries, final drive, range, etc. I'll add potatoes to the list. Maybe I can run the headlights off those?
    Nah, narrowing down choices is simple, just work to the golden rule of "As fast and powerful as possible" and everything else just falls into place

Quote Originally Posted by lewie72 View Post
    hey sorry I didn't read the 23 pages of posts I thought I seen it some where other than here before so I linked it
    No worries, I just thought it was funny to see my own videos linked.

The cost of DC motors large enough to work for this kind of project is pretty high. If I was doing it, I'd look at a couple of 5HP 3 phase motor with VFDs. There are lots of companies that are selling microcontroller based motor controller dev kits really cheap and you'd just need to make or buy a DC converter to get your battery voltage up to what the motor eats and beef up the power components to handle the bigger motor. Not that this would be a trivial project, but it is in the realm of the doable.

Actually you have that backwards. Series DC motors similar to what I used are relatively cheap, look for used forklift motors. Alltrax 48V-72V 400-600 amp series motor controllers are also relatively cheap. Plus you don't have the expense and losses in a DC upconverter. If you want to go three phase AC you should look at the motor/inverter combos from HPEVS, though it will cost you more than a series DC setup for similar power.

+ Reply to Thread