It's video time

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 240 of 249 FirstFirst ... 140 190 230 238 239 240 241 242 ... LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 2481

Thread: It's video time

Short video of the weekend, lots of leaves lol, is that a kind of off road terrain? lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMgGheK8mYs

i like the cage for keeping the bears out !! j.b.

lol well I sure can't out run them!

This isn't amphibious or a 6x6! GOSH what a rebel I am ;-p Figured it fit in better here than anywhere else.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFQ1BMVYwTw

Is this your Quadractor? They are tough little machines. They were designed to traverse rough forest trails and such, and would have been stable on the rocks actually skidding a 20' 1500lb tree underneath.
    I bet there was some pucker factor when it went up on three wheels. Without a load being slung underneath they seem top heavy. The way the drivetrain is set up with belts and pulleys seems pretty complex as well, and a modern makeover would be better served with hydraulic power for both the drivetrain and steering.

Yep that’s me and my machine. The pucker factor was in full effect I assure you lol. You are right with some down force so to speak underneath it would be a lot less tippy. Their kind of like a pyramid though with the riders in the center and the tires well spread at the base. They’d flex more with a load as well, however I am going to use this strictly for off road excursions and image the lack of load should really make this thing mechanically robust. I think the biggest challenge of this machine is 2 fold. You essentially can’t turn the wheel (not enough leverage, steer with the skid steer only) would be 10x better with a 2:1 reduction gear box on the wheel and a wider wheel for more leverage. 2. You have no speed control which can be unnerving. Since there is no CVT and the power band really only exist between 2,900-3,400RPM its wide open throttle all the time or abrupt stop and once stopped you can’t make any turning adjustments without committing to full speed once more.

That said I haven’t had any problems with the drive train, it really does seem to work even if a bit… convoluted. A hydraulic version of this would be wicked. Though if I have no problems with the current set up I shouldn’t complain (-:

That is a cool machine. I never saw anything like it before.

Steve

This is some awesome footage of Allwheeldrive's Coot diesel:
    https://youtu.be/UmZIgbyQs-8
    That low geared 10hp diesel is really impressive. I also like the tons of compression braking for down hill descents. One of the best modified Coots I've ever seen. Keep up the good work. Awesome terrain you have there in Vermont.

That Quadractor is really cool too. I commented earlier about seeing one at the Devil's Den State Park in Arkansas many years ago. The park rangers had one that they used to skid logs back to the camp areas for folks to use in their campfires. I was hiking a steep trail one day and watched one skidding a huge log below the undercarriage. The Ranger showed me how the machine worked and let me ride in the passenger seat as he took the machine down a mountain. It was a very cool machine and I wanted one from that point on. That was a great find. Very rare machines with only a few hundred being built as a type of low impact forestry services machine.
    Last edited by Noel Woods; 11-13-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks for the kind words Noel! I appreciate the positive feedback. I really enjoy putting these odd ball machines through their paces. As anyone who has driven an AATV knows, video simply cannot replicate the feel of real off road. All the same it’s nice to document the experience for comparison sake. Video often captures things we don’t notice the first time around and we can learn from mistakes and modify our driving techniques. They also allow us to compare machines in a manner that may not be possible else wise. IE rare machines in different terrain around America. I was out in the Coot for 4 hours on Sunday exploring overgrown mountain pass roads. I’ll be sure to link the video when I upload it later.

+ Reply to Thread