Best way to clean out old nasty Gas Tank

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best way to clean out old nasty Gas Tank

anyone have any idea on the metalic stuff?

I had an uncle who would put rocks in lawn mower gas tanks and leave them in the trunk of his car for a while. After rattling around he washed them out with water and let them dry.

Quote Originally Posted by sofob0909 View Post
    anyone have any idea on the metalic stuff?
    Its probably rust dust.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    Its probably rust dust.
    hmmmm. is rust magnetic

Quote Originally Posted by sofob0909 View Post
    hmmmm. is rust magnetic
    Yes, its still very magnetic.
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

Member Don told me to try brake cleaner and a bucket of nuts and bolts. I decided to change the formula a little bit by using about 5 feet of heavy chain. The chain comes out easier than a bunch of nuts and bolts if you use a wire hanger to fish it out.

I think I ended up using about 3 cans of cleaner (one at a time) but I had about an inch of sludge at the bottom of a 5 gallon Attex fuel tank. The tank looks great now.
    Banned

if the old gas has been reduced to gooey plastic sludge you cant get it out.you can fill it full of water and cut a hole in it to scrape it out then weld it back up.there is also a product available that seals all the crud in the tank.you pour the stuff in then roll it around to cover the inside of the tank.

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-13-2016 at 01:23 PM.

I use a fistful or two of BB's from my kids BB gun and then gas, or whatever solvent you like. close lid and shake. Then pull BB's out and some of the rust flakes with magnet. Rinse and ready to go.

I've used Muriatic Acid as mentioned earlier with great results. Safety goggles and gloves are a must!

+ Reply to Thread