Full hydraulic machine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Full hydraulic machine

Full hydraulic machine

At lunch today my coworkers and I were chatting about making a full hydraulic 6x6 and bypassing the T-20. Anyone ever done this? Our hydraulic mechanic/fabricator figures it would be fairly simple, just put a smallish pump on the gas motor, couple of drive motors and run some lines and valves.

If anyone has tried I'd like to know the results. I'm thinking it could be a fun project some day.

And an oil tank,filter and cooler.
    The pump would need to be at least 20 gpm if you use 2 motors @ 10 gpm each.

Quote Originally Posted by IanPNG View Post
    At lunch today my coworkers and I were chatting about making a full hydraulic 6x6 and bypassing the T-20. Anyone ever done this? Our hydraulic mechanic/fabricator figures it would be fairly simple, just put a smallish pump on the gas motor, couple of drive motors and run some lines and valves.

If anyone has tried I'd like to know the results. I'm thinking it could be a fun project some day.
    you are going to build anything as efficient and weight and cost effective as a t-20

There are lots of threads on the subject. As of yet no successes . The only advantage is instant reverse and counter rotation. The t-20 will counter rotate with a split shift but is not instant.
    Acta non verba

I would start by looking at some of the full hydro machines you can buy like the terratrack the old tracksters and a couple of the machines that the builders are interviewed in the VIP section.

I agree about the efficiency but if he is doing oilfield work there may be advantages with reliability that you could give up some efficiency for? Not sure about that but he may be thinking about it because of problems he's having.

Nick
    Last edited by Trackster; 03-02-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Hydraulic machines are typically slower, heavier, and require larger HP engines than a mechanical drive. Maintenance would be minimal, depending on the final drive design. An oil cooler would be needed, heat thins and breaks down the fluid, and can hurt pumps and motors quickly. A hydraulic machine will give a great amount of control, and almost instant torque.

There are advantages and disadvantages to any design, you need to choose based on your needs.
    I don't want to go fast, I just want to go anywhere.

My LTV KID is Hydrostatic drive. If you want I can take some pics and send you.
    It works REAL good. The thing is a tank.

Can you post some pics if the LTV KID hydraulics.
    What size engine is driving the pump?
    And what type of pump is used?
    Is it setup to counter rotate?

Edit: I checked out the manual and see its a vickers hydrostatic trans.
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 03-12-2013 at 03:43 AM.

It's already been done, it's called a MuddOx, see it at MuddOx.net.

The LTV KID uses a Wisconsin 4 cylinder engine and huge vickers drive units.
    The mud ox is set up the same way. both machines will zero turn

Here is the setup in the KID
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread