Building a roll cage at home...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building a roll cage at home...

One way to bend tube if you have a torch is to fill thee tube with sand, cap the ends, then heat the bend area with a rosebud and bend manually. The sand prevents the tube from collapsing. Also, if you're going to use pipe, you also don't want to use galvanized pipe. The fumes from the zinc coating is pretty nasty stuff to breathe. If you do have to weld galvy, you must first grind off all of the zinc. You can apply spray on cold galvy to the area after you're done.

Thank you AkCrawler. I appreciate the information. Education never hurts.
    So its possible to use schedule 10 black iron pipe for a roll cage? Schedule 10 has thinner wall thickness so would be lighter than 40. If I could buy local then it would be easier and cheaper in cost.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Or if there's any racing of any sort in your area those guys could maybe help out or know of some one, otherwise with limited access you could buy a pipe bender and go with schedule 40 and less chance of kinks in the pipe and since it's heavier you can stick weld it a lot easier too. Thin wall is nice but requires a good bender and a good welder as stated earlier. And even if you never use the bender again you can use the bottle jack from it. Just another idea.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

I've heard of using sand as filler when bending pipe. Never done it though.

We don't have any racing teams up here. I'm sure in the end I'll get it done. Thanks guys.

I bought 1.5" heavy conduit tubing in ten foot lengths. No black iron pipe. The conduit "looks" to be about 3/32 inch thick. I don't have a micrometer to measure it. My nephew is a welder ny trade and feels confident he can weld it. He goes off to work out of town for a few weeks though. It gives me time to draw up full size plans for the roll cage.
    Any suggestions? Recommendations with this type if tubing? Concerns? Thanks.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 07-24-2014 at 06:25 AM.

I did google EMT conduit and discovered the tubing might be .065" wall thickness (1.6mm). Is this too thin?
    Intermediate Metalic Tubing (IMT) is .1" or 2.5mm. I hope his is what I bought. Its at my mother's storage so I am not able to look at it again until tomorrow.

I read here that diagnal bracing, for extra strength, is warranted with thinner tubing, so I'll add them.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 07-24-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by guyfox View Post
    I'll see your two dots and put up one more ...
    Anyone want to ante up to four dots?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    I'll see your two dots and put up one more ...
    Anyone want to ante up to four dots?
    I'm in ....

I took another look at the tubing. Its the thickness of a penny. Two MM at the most. I figure I will use it. And use diagnal bracing, too.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 07-24-2014 at 09:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread