Building a roll cage at home...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building a roll cage at home...

Building a roll cage at home...

Hi. I learned (and became confused, which happens sometimes) that the Max IV roll cage uses schedule 40 tubing/pipe. I just learned today that "schedule 40" refers to wall thickness. All this time I had thought schedule 40 was a brand name or type of metal.

Which leaves me the question... what type of pipe/tubing do you guys use to build roll cages? Common black iron pipe? Galvinized pipe? Other steel pipe?
    I figure 1.25" OD might be about right. Or 1.5" OD for that matter.
    I do have angle bar from my daughter's old bed frame to use. It looks to be 1.25" per side and five feet long I think (how ever long double beds are).
    Any other info I should know? Please help me, as I would like to build a roll cage once I buy the proper tubing.
    Thank you very much.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

I did see plans on this site to build a Max IV factory roll cage, which I'll go by. The only difference is I will shorten it like the Buffalo Truck. I am modifying my rear seat area for cargo space... no passengers.
    Anyone else do this? Got pictures? Thanks.

Bed frames are made from spring steel, and don't weld very well. I use .090 wall tubing 1.5" diameter for all my cages (.083 wall on the really light weight machines). Tubing requires a special bender as a pipe bender will just crush it. Tubing is measured by it's O.D. and Wall thickness. Pipe is measured by the I.D. so schedule 40 1.5" pipe will be almost 1 3/4 OD. Pipe is strong, cheap, and a bender for it is much cheaper. Only real downfall versus tubing is that it is much heavier.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    Bed frames are made from spring steel, and don't weld very well. I use .090 wall tubing 1.5" diameter for all my cages (.083 wall on the really light weight machines). Tubing requires a special bender as a pipe bender will just crush it. Tubing is measured by it's O.D. and Wall thickness. Pipe is measured by the I.D. so schedule 40 1.5" pipe will be almost 1 3/4 OD. Pipe is strong, cheap, and a bender for it is much cheaper. Only real downfall versus tubing is that it is much heavier.
    Thank you for resonding. So, bed frames might mot be suitable. What would be better?
    Regarding the tubing... Is there a name? DOM? HREW? Chromoly? (I've only heard of chromoly.
    Whivh type is lowest weight per foot?
    Lots of questions leads to proper education. Teach me please. Thanks.
    Btw I am googling this stuff but confused a bit.

Chromoly will be your strongest, and lightest but the difference weight wise will not be big between it and DOM. It will however be MUCH more expensive. I use DOM for mine. For the angle I just use cold rolled steel from the local supplier. In addition to the stock angle iron, I would also wrap it around the front of the machine and incorporate a winch mount.

This is the bender I use at home JD Squared, Inc. - Model 32 Bender - Manual. It is a relatively inexpensive machine and works great but don't let the cost of the machine fool you, the die sets for each size tubing are pretty pricey and you need one for each size of tubing you want to be able to bend. For example, the Die I use for 1.5" tubing was $285. I have close to $2K worth of dies hanging on the wall for a $395 machine
    Last edited by racerone3; 07-16-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: added details about die sets
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thank you RacerOne3. There is no way I can justify investing in a lot of money for a bender I'll use once. I'll ask around our town for someone with a proper bender.
    Now, must the tubing be bent? can I get away with cut and welded corners?
    DOM tubing sounds good. Light and strong but cheaper than chromoly.
    Cold rolled steel angle iron it is. Thanks. I feel like I'm making progress.

also chromoly is a little difficult to work with, for the maximum strength it needs to be welded with an acetylene torch or a tig machine. I have welded it with a mig welder and got pretty good results

Thank you DozerLarry.

Can you give the tubing demensions you use? Thickness, diameter? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    Chromoly will be your strongest, and lightest but the difference weight wise will not be big between it and DOM. It will however be MUCH more expensive. I use DOM for mine. For the angle I just use cold rolled steel from the local supplier. In addition to the stock angle iron, I would also wrap it around the front of the machine and incorporate a winch mount.

This is the bender I use at home JD Squared, Inc. - Model 32 Bender - Manual. It is a relatively inexpensive machine and works great but don't let the cost of the machine fool you, the die sets for each size tubing are pretty pricey and you need one for each size of tubing you want to be able to bend. For example, the Die I use for 1.5" tubing was $285. I have close to $2K worth of dies hanging on the wall for a $395 machine

I wanted to add a little bit more technical info. Not because you need it to build your roll cage, but because I believe we all benefit by knowing how things in this world work. As stated above, tubing is always specified by OD and wall thickness. Most piping is specified by schedule and nominal diameter for pipe sizes 12" and smaller. Nominal diameter is based on standard wall thickness which most folks know as Schedule 40. However, as the wall thickness gets greater, the ID gets smaller so that the OD can remain constant for all schedules of pipe. This helps with welding and other fabrication tasks. 1-1/4" pipe always has an OD of 1.66". Sch 40 in that size has an ID of 1.38" and a wall thickness of .140", whereas Sch 160 has an ID of 1.16" and a wall thickness of .250". It looks like you could get by with Sch 10 pipe in 1-1/4" if you want to get close to the .090" wall thickness for tubing that was quoted above.

One note is that conduit benders (for rigid conduit) work on pipe that is Sch 40 or less. Rigid conduit and pipe have about the same OD for the sizes you are interested in. It also has about the same wall thickness as Sch 40 pipe in those sizes. You might be able to get some rigid conduit in your town. At least then you would have a local source. Of course it comes in 10' lengths which might mean that you either have to add a coupling or butt weld it to get enough length for a continuous hoop. Pipe comes in 20' lengths so this part would be easier.

+ Reply to Thread