Hybrid Flywheel systems in AATVs?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hybrid Flywheel systems in AATVs?

Hybrid Flywheel systems in AATVs?

I first heard of these last year, would be interesting to see them applied to AATVs. Volvo and VW seem to be looking in to using these in passenger cars:

Volvo hybrid drive: 60,000 rpm flywheel, 25% boost to mpg | ExtremeTech

48805_1_5-640x452.jpg

Phew, and y'all thought new machines were already expensive, that thing looks titanium.

Hi
    McClaren Formula 1 team invented similar and sold some to Porsche Racing and now in there top road going models
    Have u ever purchased specialized anything with Volvo passenger vehicle or industrial ..sell your house then transfer it to them ...[ha ha]
    All things aside the small engines in argo max wholesale around 500-1200$$ Half that for the actual cost of production . Advanced technology does not have a chance .
    EFI was lucky to make an appearance but the early units around 2000 and prior were rubbish
    Like most thing the manufacturers are trying to keep there profit margins
    Donot think for a minute that the makers have your ""back "" saving 10 cents x 3 million . These decisions can change the quality of a unit
    A B&s vanguard twin engine block is made in japan and all the majority of the remainder Chinese.A few of the exact same part are produced at all three USA China and Japan .The Chinese parts have a limited life .
    This is not to talk down about B&S ,all makers are the same .
    B&s has policies ,well published about Vtwin racing is not encouraged but due to the single cylinder market being very very competitive Jr dragster was invented as a marketing stratergy to keep market share .

Currently The best thing u can do for a small engine is to get it to breathe -inlet side then on the exhaust side . This will not only generate more power but be more economical . The cylinder heads are pathetic compared to any decent power producing engine.
    Technology in small engines is a complicated subject

tomo

Ps The small block Kohler twin as advertised made in usa is a joke ,only few parts are sourced usa ,technology discussions is for another time. There basic engine building/design issues . A child could improve there design
    Last edited by Tomo; 08-19-2014 at 11:11 PM.

I'm impressed.

"If" they catch on and become common/cheap enough, I could see someone playing around w/ one for an AATV 5-10 yrs from now. Looks like they're already meant to be used w/ a CVT.

Also, image 6x6 launch control at 60,000 RPM

Yeah, all that speed would have be fed through a gearbox to provide torque and get shaft speed to a more manageable number.

Personally, I think this one is purely academic. We bought these machines to have fun and accomplish things we could not do any other way. I don't know about the rest of you, but fuel economy was way down on the list for me.

I don't know about the other machines, but there is barely enough room in my Max IV for the drive components that are currently there. I cannot imagine adding those extra items without adding more space to accommodate them. Also, by its very nature, a flywheel will add a bunch of weight to the machine. The more weight, the more energy you can store. I think that would be a big negative in an amphib machine. The tub and tires would have to get bigger to add displacement to keep the thing buoyant with all that extra weight.

Finally, the gyroscopic effect would definitely effect handling in a skid steer. It would become much harder to steer in one direction than the other. The sharper the turn, the more pronounced the gyroscopic effect. It would also pitch the machine in one direction or another in a water environment. That might be just plain dangerous! Of course turning in water tends to be slower and that would help.

I think this question belongs in the uber expensive, high end section of another website. Are you sure you signed in to the right website? lol

+ Reply to Thread