Winching?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winching?

Winching?

I have an old superwinch X2 on my Conquest. I've only needed twice and both times the wire went of the spool and jammed. So I tore it all apart this evening and found that the cable tensioner was on backwards so I flipped it around and put it all back together. But in doing so when I unspooled the wire rope the end was missing. So I need to put a new end on the rope.
    And I was wondering what everyone uses on their winch. Do you use wire rope? Or do you use synthetic rope?

I have synthetic rope on my winch and I love it . I will never go back to cable rope
    2011 MUDD OX KUBOTA TURBO DIESEL

Anything need to be changed other than the fair lead?

There wasn't an end on the winch side of the cable, if memory serves there was a set screw holding it in.

winching

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    There wasn't an end on the winch side of the cable, if memory serves there was a set screw holding it in.
    Jim, your memory is pretty much right on regarding the set screw. I had the cable off of my X2 winch a few months ago and it had a crimped on end with a hole for the set screw. A very Knowledgeable friend says that he just puts a ball of brazing on the end and puts that in the hole?

I have the cable off mine now. I don't see a set screw.

Quote Originally Posted by philipatmaxfour View Post
    Jim, your memory is pretty much right on regarding the set screw. I had the cable off of my X2 winch a few months ago and it had a crimped on end with a hole for the set screw. A very Knowledgeable friend says that he just puts a ball of brazing on the end and puts that in the hole?
    Last year, I purchased a 3500lb winch with a synthetic rope for my wife's MaxIV, and I absolutely love it. A month later, I replaced the cable on my 4500lb winch with a synthetic rope and it came with a ball of brazing or "large BB" between a loop at the end of the rope and pulled it thru. I haven't had any issue at all with the rope coming out. I think its a great idea to change out to synthetic rope, for safety reasons as well as others. Dan Edwards and I went riding a few months back and I was winching out of a very seriously deep and suction like hole of mud when my rope popped. If it had of been cable, someone could've easily been hurt by the cable, if I still had it installed on my winch. I have used that cable an awful lot and I feel that I got my moneys worth. I mean, I am here to talk about and no one got hurt. Great idea going with the synthetic rope, thou I would suggest going with a thicker diameter than the cable if you use the winch regularly!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

I have only used it twice. And both times the wire rope spooled over the side of the drum. I found that the cable tensioner was on the winch wrong. That tensioner seems sharp. Did anyone remove the tensioner to avoid abrasions on the synthetic rope? Also did anyone change their roller fairlead?

I changed my fairlead rollers to UHMW rollers.

UHMW fairleads are out there and comparable to steel in price. I really like the synthetic cable too. Once it frays though it goes worthless quickly.

+ Reply to Thread