Sheet Metal Cab?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sheet Metal Cab?

Sheet Metal Cab?

Anybody built a sheet metal cab and what are positives and negatives of it. How hard is it to work with? I'm starting a treated plywood cab and think the weight might be too much. The benefit of wood is that I can put windows in alot easier then with sheet metal. Ideas, thoughts or suggestions. One thing I forgot to mention is I take the wheeler thru the woods ALOT. It takes a beating going over and thru the woods to grandmothers house.
    Last edited by wheeler; 10-27-2014 at 09:56 PM.
    "I'm NOT stuck, I'm just temporarily stopped"

I built a hardtop for a Jeep M38a1 a few years back. I started out with marine ply and realized the weight made the machine top heavy, so switched to luan plywood and put several coats of clear on it. It worked great for several years. Then trail abuse got the best of it. So I covered the roof with thin metal and got another three years out of it. I used plexiglass for the windows.

The entire top weighed in at around a 100 pounds.

If I were going to do it again, I'd use luan plywood, with the stitch and glue technique, and cover it with fiberglass. I'd use plexiglass again, but keep in mind it yellows quickly out in the sun.

remember all those sharp edges on metal too

Thanks
    I'm gonna check on luan tomorrow. Do a little pricing. I'm a little curious what you mean by the stitch and glue technique?

Here's an explanation:

Stitch-and-glue boat building, along with the development of epoxy and modern mahogany marine plywood, has revolutionized and revitalized wooden boat building. It also works for jeep tops, sheds, etc., Where horizontal and vertical panels come together, bailing wire secures the panels together, then epoxy and glass resin covers it. It makes for tight seems, and lightweight construction.

also for the windows best to use polycarbonate. clear like plexi but stronger and won't yellow. lowes sells it. if you want to spend allittle extra, mcmaster sells a unscratchable brand. johnboy va.

Have you considered using poly for your cab? I'm going to try and fab one over the winter using an old truck bed liner.

I have considered that as an option. Have you made one? If you have, how much does the polycarbonate cost? I would think that for larger sheets it would be real pricey. I would love to find some plastic that you could heat and it would conform to the roll bar over the machine. You could then cut out the windows and doors.

wheeler, i have a 3 wheel trike that i made a complete bubble enclosure for so i could ride it in the winter. i used 3/16 thick polycarbonate sheets. they sell for around $ 35 for a 2x4 foot sheet. i made a frame work first, them made templates out of cardboard. once i had the pieces traced and cut onto
    the poly sheets, i cut them out with a jigsaw and fine metal blade. any bends needed i softened the poly with a heat gun and it bent easily. all pieces i attached to the framework with small round head bolts and cap nuts. i also bought a special adhesive for poly that bonds quickly and is very strong. it's very tough and all clear. looks alot like a canopy on a jet fighter. anyway, hope it gives you some ideas. you can by sheets up to 4x8 foot. check around for suppliers and prices. johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
    I have considered that as an option. Have you made one? If you have, how much does the polycarbonate cost? I would think that for larger sheets it would be real pricey. I would love to find some plastic that you could heat and it would conform to the roll bar over the machine. You could then cut out the windows and doors.
    Just google " thermoplastic" and loads come up. Then google the spec for temperature required to form it. H.I.P.S. is a very cheap plastic, relatively strong (but can shatter when thin sheets get very cold). It's what a lot of the bodies for radio controlled models are formed from.

+ Reply to Thread