Need some winch ideas

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need some winch ideas

Need some winch ideas

I'm looking to add a winch and like the idea of being able to easily move it from front to rear. I have a 2" receiver on both ends of my Max and was thinking I could use a receiver winch mount and a utility winch like the Superwinch UT3000 to move it around as needed.
    I already got the UT3000. Negatives are that it only has two bolt holes for mounting. Will this be strong enough for a full load? It also has only 40' of line. Pros are that it looks easy enough to install for my intended application and has a low amp draw.

Or should I do a permanent mount with a beefier winch? TSC has the Warn Vantage 3000 for $230 on sale now and I've also been looking at the Superwinch LT3000. Both of these seem comparable, but the Warn is about $100 more.

Any other ideas?

winch mount:
    Amazon.com: Extreme Max 5600.3084 Receiver Hitch Winch Mount, 2": Automotive

winch:
    Superwinch, LLC - UT3000 - 3,000 lbs/12V

Don't know what kind of riding you do,but it seems that the mounts might be under water or in the mud or stuck in the side of the bank, I prefer something alittle higher. I have a 3500lb winch and a snatch block and a 20 foot strap, most times it only takes a small tug to get them unstuck but sometimes it can be a pickle, good luck with what ever you do

You could do something like this.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Permanent rear winch
    Attached Images
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Rear mount works great
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 12-17-2014 at 02:25 AM.

Murphy's Law (he and I go way back) says if you need it on the front, it will be on the back and if you need it on the back, it'll be on the front. I had one on my Max lV on the front and sure enough I needed it on the back. I have some cable grooves cut on the rear of my Max ll from someone running a cable over it for some reason. The PO said he had no idea how that happened. That winch adapter looks like a workable idea. Looks like one of those things that pokes out the rear window of your truck to me. Seriously though, I am thinking of mounting my winch on the rear of my ll. For looks if no other reason. It's also easier to mount back there in my opinion. If you are looking for total interchangeability Harbor Freight has a portable 2K Marine winch (item #61237 for $80.00) that mounts over a hitch ball. I have used one for everything from pulling cars up on trailers to picking up railroad ties and it has never failed me. Just mount a power plug midway of the 6x6 and the cord will reach from either end. But, you already have the UT3000, so it's probably a moot point. I thought seriously about that myself, just nowhere on a Max ll to carry it when not in use. That's my two cents worth.
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

I've integrated the receiver hitches into a body band, so they (hopefully) won't be submerged in water or mud. I've been using a Maasdam 3/4 ton rope puller which works fine for minor recovery jobs. A few months ago, I got stuck trying to get out of a pond and the Max was about 1/4 full of water. I broke an axle bolt and had a tire come off a rim during the process. A group of ATVers came by and winched me out, but their winch struggled. Needless to say, it was a rough day and I had to be winched up small hills several times.
    I'm also not fully committed to the UT3000, I can still ship it back to Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyk72 View Post
    I've integrated the receiver hitches into a body band, so they (hopefully) won't be submerged in water or mud. I've been using a Maasdam 3/4 ton rope puller which works fine for minor recovery jobs. A few months ago, I got stuck trying to get out of a pond and the Max was about 1/4 full of water. I broke an axle bolt and had a tire come off a rim during the process. A group of ATVers came by and winched me out, but their winch struggled. Needless to say, it was a rough day and I had to be winched up small hills several times.
    I'm also not fully committed to the UT3000, I can still ship it back to Amazon.
    I've seen the recievers burried in mud and debris, I would like one on my machine for sure, but to mount a winch nope.

Suggestion would be to build a mount UP HIGH out of water and mud line of sight so to speak thus keeping winch cleaner and running longer. Ever wonder why quads have the winch down low and getting packed full of mud and debri? Besides you can make a mount a bumper type thingy that can help get you up n over stuff...that's what I did!

I've built a mount for the front and still have one to fab up for rear. I've got two 2000 lb WARN winches and snatch blocks and straps n stuff.

IMO better to have two winches identical to each other not just one and if one fails a few bolts and you can swap one to front/rear as needed.

JM2CW for what it is worth
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Yep, there is always the situation when s**t happens. Can't plan for everything, but you can drown trying.
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

This is a question I have pondered for many years. As a result I have come up with t his combination for my 8x8. I have a winch mounted to the front of the machine with a tow ring mounted below it, that is bolted through the hull and on frame extensions. I have a spare battery with Anderson connectors that hook up directly to the main battery. I have a second winch that has been bolted onto a frame that allows me to carry it around that is also equipped with a plug. All the ATVs in our camp have an Anderson plug with about 3 feet of cord. With this set up, I can run the main winch off the spare battery. I can run the spare winch off the main battery. I can carry the spare winch and battery into an inaccessible spot and use the winch. I can boost any machine in camp with an Anderson plug off the spare battery. I can boost any other machine if needed with my machine. The battery booster at home has a plug that takes a second to connect my batteries for charging. I also use the spare winch to pull a 26 foot boat onto a trailer. The spare winch gets year round use around the house. The spare winch does not sit out in the weather and is completely portable. I also have a 6 foot sling attached to the hitch assembly at the rear. In this way, I never have to get down and dirty to hook up. Anderson plugs are the type used on golf carts and fork lifts. They are a quick connect and heavy duty. This works for me.
    Good Luck

+ Reply to Thread