Trailer to Haul Argo 8x8 - Build Thread

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trailer to Haul Argo 8x8 - Build Thread

here are some photos of the shield. I had some plywood from work, and some scrap tube steel from my wife's work, so it cost $0 to build. The only negative so far is how wide it is, I can't see squat out of my mirrors in the jeep. But, should keep the argo nice and dry/clean. My jeep is already a driving brick, on 37" tires, so I don't think my gas mileage can get much worse than it already is.

Looks good!

Here are the ramps, the shield, and the argo loaded up.

It looks like you did a good job. I think the decision to leave the top off the trailer is a good one. I can only imagine the contortions that would be required to access your Argo if it were fully enclosed. Maybe if you had a door on the side...?

I can tell you from experience that the shield on the front is a good idea. I hate getting to my jump-off point with mud/ice all over the windows and lights on my AATV.

Anyway, it looks good. My only question is the load rating on those tires. They are probably good, but it might be worth checking on them.

Mike

Nice trailer and Rubicon pulling it and the Argo.

Little trailer tires usually mean small bearings and axles as well. Wouldn't hurt to check them out in detail.

Maybe even have a side rail on the trailer sides to keep the machine on the trailer just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by akcrawler View Post
    It looks like you did a good job. I think the decision to leave the top off the trailer is a good one. I can only imagine the contortions that would be required to access your Argo if it were fully enclosed. Maybe if you had a door on the side...?

I can tell you from experience that the shield on the front is a good idea. I hate getting to my jump-off point with mud/ice all over the windows and lights on my AATV.

Anyway, it looks good. My only question is the load rating on those tires. They are probably good, but it might be worth checking on them.

Mike
    well, the trailer says its rated for 1700lbs, and I looked up the average weight of a sled, which is about 500lbs. Two sleds = 1000lbs, or about the weight of an argo 8x8, so I figured I was good. I'll have to check the side of the tire today. I am working on the trailer a bit again, I'll post an update.

last weekend when I tried out the trailer/argo, I arrived at my cabin in the dark & cold. I was in a bit of a rush to get unloaded, and I forgot to put jack stands under the back of the trailer. So, when I moved the argo back, the trailer naturally tipped back a bit. But since the ramps I made have supports that rest on the ground, the ramps stayed put. So, I ripped the hinges partially off the deck....

I fixed that up today.

Next, I addressed the issue that there is no good place to connect straps or chains to this trailer. I had to wrap the straps around the edge of the trailer, it was a pain, and probably not real safe since the straps could be cut by the sharp edges and harsh angles. I found some 10,000lb d-rings at harbor freight for $4.99 each on sale. I just welded them onto the deck, and in the corners where there is good steel members below. Hope they are strong enough. Obviously the rings are fine, but there just isn't any super thick metal on this trailer, everything is pretty thin for weight. I know its perfectly good for normal use, just don't know if the deck might peel up in an accident. Hope I never find out.

I took two weldable d rings and welded the on the back of my trailor about 16" to either side of where the hitch on my max rides. I use a chain that I run over my hitch. Chain is secure with a clevis to both d rings. I use one d ring in the front. I drilled a hole in my winch plate. I run a single strand of chain from plate to trailor bed. My machine doesn't move much at all. I don't ever worry about straps any more. I have had straps break in the past, not anymore. I think your ramps are a great idea!

Blue, next time you put down a d'ring on thin metal cut a doubler plate of the same or greater thickness about 3" larger all the way round than the ring mount, weld it to the trailer and then weld the ring mount to the plate. A little extra insurance is to drill a 1/2" hole in the middle of the doubler plate and weld through it to the trailer. Won't come off then! Trailer looks nice. Did you make the shield where it will fold down when you deadhead to save some gas?

Looks good.

Have you considered permanently attaching some swing-down supports under the rear of the trailer? you would still have to remember to deploy them, but that would be one (two?) less thing bouncing around in the back of your vehicle. They would also be the correct length and right where you need them when the time comes.

Just a thought. I know ideas are easy. Doing takes a little more effort.

+ Reply to Thread