Homemade Conquest Hardtop Build Thread

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Conquest Hardtop Build Thread

Homemade Conquest Hardtop Build Thread

This will be a build thread for enclosing the aluminum hardtop on my argo with windows and doors.

Its an Argo Conquest 8x8. I bought it this fall. It has an aluminum hardtop that came as an option when the original owner bought it at the dealer (I was told). Here is what it looks like:

The guy i bought it from, attempted to waterproof the roof. The original hardtop is a square tube aluminum frame, but the aluminum skin is on the underside of the frame, so snow and ice built up in the trough's on the on top, causing him issues. He put 1.5" eps foam insulation in the troughs and then covered the whole top with FRP fiberglass panels (the kind you buy from home depot to put on a commercial bathroom wall). Then, at some point, he added a "roof rack" made of old skis. He must have had some leaks along the center of the roof, because he used two FRP panels and that's where they joined. So looks like the whole thing was slathered in roofing tar and spray painted white. The edges and screws were covered in some type of white mastic or goop. Very ugly.

I will be replacing this roof when I build the new enclosed cab.

Here is how it sits now:

Here is what it will look like:

I plan to use 12mm baltic birch plywood, and then polycarbonate for the windows.

photo of the insulation after tearing off the "rack" and FRP panel

Here is the trough under the insulation.
    Last edited by bluebruin; 01-10-2015 at 01:34 PM.

I am always interested in seeing a build....Given that you already have the cube built, you are well on your way to having a comfortable cab... The snow in your pics tells me you live in an area where a dry warm place to sit is sometimes desireable. Good Luck... Keep up the pics...

I live in Conifer, CO, at 8200ft. But our cabin, which we need the argo for access, is at 11,000ft right at treeline, below mt sherman near fairplay, CO. its winter is usually -20 to 20 deg and WINDY most the time so I think an enclosed cab will be great.

2014-03-09 11.43.39.jpgI am interested in seeing this transform. I live in Utah, but I bought my Conquest in Colorado and it appears I have the same top with soft sides, but I want to see how the hard sides turn out. I love the top and my top is sealed/enclosed in aluminum and has not had the leakage (knock on wood). Those tracks must do well in the deep snow. Did you have the soft sides on the hard top?

This is going to be a closely watched thread for sure....

Hope see some video of this machine in action....

Thanks for sharing.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Something caught my eye when I first looked at the pictures. On second look, I noticed that skis had been used as strength members but run the length of the roof. I was just thinking that a ski with the front curl cut off would make a fine cross member. They are pre-shaped and stressed to have a bend. Like the big trailer that have a bend to take on the load. That might just be enough to keep the roof from sagging in the middle. They do not weigh a lot and around here, the good will store gives them away come spring.
    *****After re-reading your initial piece, what you describe as a rack may in fact be an attempt by the previous owner to support the center portion of the roof to prevent puddling....which is what I mention above.*****
    good luck
    Last edited by guyvapeur; 01-12-2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: More info....

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Attachment 13132I am interested in seeing this transform. I live in Utah, but I bought my Conquest in Colorado and it appears I have the same top with soft sides, but I want to see how the hard sides turn out. I love the top and my top is sealed/enclosed in aluminum and has not had the leakage (knock on wood). Those tracks must do well in the deep snow. Did you have the soft sides on the hard top?
    it has the clips and channel to hold the soft top, but the previous owner said the top was shredded and thrown out years back. this argo came from Grand Junction, so it does not surprise me yours probably came from same dealer.

I have the very same top and the problem with it as designed is that water will collect in the trough and then is supposed to drain through holes drilled in the corner through the upright tubes. Well, in the winter that water will freeze and bust the welds in the corners and split the tubes.

I welded mine back up, welded the split tubes (they are still bulged), welded 2 inch square tubes cross members in the roof, pop riveted the ceiling up to the new framework (ice warps it), and used 3m5200 to glue a sheet of aluminum on top.

Ed (from Argo Outdoor Sports in Grand Junction - no longer there) hooked me up with a new soft side. If you are interested in a soft side solution we could probably meet up at Pauls Custom Canvas shop and I'll show them what I have so they could make a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    I have the very same top and the problem with it as designed is that water will collect in the trough and then is supposed to drain through holes drilled in the corner through the upright tubes. Well, in the winter that water will freeze and bust the welds in the corners and split the tubes.

I welded mine back up, welded the split tubes (they are still bulged), welded 2 inch square tubes cross members in the roof, pop riveted the ceiling up to the new framework (ice warps it), and used 3m5200 to glue a sheet of aluminum on top.

Ed (from Argo Outdoor Sports in Grand Junction - no longer there) hooked me up with a new soft side. If you are interested in a soft side solution we could probably meet up at Pauls Custom Canvas shop and I'll show them what I have so they could make a copy.
    thanks! that's a very generous offer! but, I know it will cost $1k or more, and honestly I just don't have the budget. Also, I think a hardtop might standup to being outside better, as well as being trailered. I can get most the materials I need for my hardtop cheap through work, so I am going to give it a shot. I think it will cost be about $200-300.

+ Reply to Thread