Cleaning grease

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning grease

Cleaning grease

Hi everyone, about two years ago my wife bought me a parts cleaner. Needless to say, I have never used it. It has just been taking up space in the garage. Well anyway I am working on an old maxll. You Have never seen such a greasy mess. I pulled out my trusty I phone to find out what I should get for cleaning fluid. Walmart sells this stuff called purple power. So I bought two gallons and dumped it in. I thought I would try to clean the old sprockets first. I could not believe how it cut right through the grease. So I started to clean everything that I could! One bad thing about purple power is that it will also eat the skin right off your hands! Yes, I did have rubber gloves on. Still, some got in. When I took my hands out of the chemical gloves, the blood was flowing. The pump on the parts cleaner is strong and I did get splashed a bit. I guess I should have been more carful. The moral to this, take your time, be careful and do it right the first time. I even took the time to write that on my max note book, just to slow myself down and to do the job right the first time.

ouch!!!

I use mineral spirits in my tank. works fine

Hi Andy, is that a milder cleaner?

Yes, that Purple Power is great for taking off grease and oil, used it on my hands once to get some white lithium off and took off several layers of skin in the process. Still, its one of the best products out there.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooman View Post
    Hi Andy, is that a milder cleaner?
    Sounds like it from your experience, I have a bottle of purple power but never use it, I do remember trying some on an engine compartment along time ago and it stained the paint even diluted O it cleaned the grease off alright LOL . Mineral spirits is a really nice cleaner I believe and I am really bad about putting gloves on and it does dry your skin a bit exposed to it for a real dirty part but not bad . Wear gloves

I tried some of that biodegradable crap in my solvent tank once since I could not find 5 gallons of mineral spirits and its terrible plus it corroded the inside of my tank and pump. Said right on can "Non Corrosive"

Purple power is great stuff, eats skin regular though, use it on machine innards all the time and with a brush and a hose works great. Works like gunk but better, it is bio degradable ( degrades skin regular). Woks very well on a varnished tank, I've added -swished - let sit - topped with water- swished - let sit and rinsed real good- near new and fuel level can again be seen it white tanks. The last tank was a black max tank with rubbered varnish like epoxy for about 2 inches and cleaned it right out (slowly).

Don not use it on the carb. or moving aluminum parts as it will chalk it and cause a major issue. Applying water first will aid in cleaning.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread