Newbie questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie questions

Newbie questions

I've been doing a lot of reading and now I have a couple questions:

Is it important to get paperwork when buying an older machine? Many of these I'm looking at don't even have engines. I can't imagine they would have title after 30-40 years. I'm in NJ-I guess they have to be registered if going on public land?

It seems like people are getting away from 2 cycle and going to 4 cycle. Any reason?

Inexpensive shipping of an AATV....does that exist? Anyone have any preferred shipper?

thanks,
    brian

Brian,

Most of the time vintage machines trade hands without titles. I only have a title for one or two of my machines right now, and I have a lot more than that.

4-strokes are more trail friendly and have better manners when trying to creep along. Also, 2-strokes are very loud and difficult to travel slowly with.

Shipping a 6-wheeler is easy. I use u-ship and always buy a machines based on an estimated $0.50/mile to get it shipped to me. I don't think it's ever came to that much, but it gets really close sometimes. Also, the shippers will start out way high on their quotes usually. Don't be afraid to wait it out or ask to have it shipped for your price rather than theirs.

Good luck,

Drew
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Well said.

How much of a project are you looking for? What is your machine preference? how much of a project?
    There is no legal riding in NJ, so private land or distant ATV parks are best, legal way to do it.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I'm pretty flexible on "project". I was interested in that Sears Sportster in Al. as a project, but the whole shipping thing can be a financial deterrent.

Jim, I see you have Max for sale. If the sportster doesn't pan out, I will be contacting you about going to see it, if you still have it. I'm 1 1/2 hrs. away.

This week I am finishing the assembly of my Harbor freight trailer. Gotta then get the hitch installed on the car and rig the lights.

brian

Where are you located ? I may be able to help you out some ?
    Fill out your profile as it helps others to know where your at.
    I have a scrambler But to be Honest I would not want that for a First machine !
    No reverse and a Finaky hydraulic steering system. But its up to you and what you want to do with it ?
    Best bet is a Max II. (IMHO) Cheap and you can get used parts all day long !
    Hope this helps a little .

Yeah Wedge, I read that the scrambler has no reverse and you have to rig a car starter up to one the shafts. I went and looked at a wedge last week. I wasn't sure if I really wanted it. By the next day it was sold!

Quote Originally Posted by brian19600 View Post
    Yeah Wedge, I read that the scrambler has no reverse and you have to rig a car starter up to one the shafts. I went and looked at a wedge last week. I wasn't sure if I really wanted it. By the next day it was sold!
    Your best bet is to stick with something that has a T-20 transmission in it. Attex, Max II, Max IV, Max Buffalo Truck, Hustler, Swamp Fox are some machines that would be a good choice. An Attex or Max II would be the most common and easiest to find parts for. I have a Max Buffalo Truck (that is a pretty easy project to put together) that really just needs an engine and drive chains. It's a big machine and is very stout and reliable if you're interested.

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread