New chain/sprocket alignment

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New chain/sprocket alignment

New chain/sprocket alignment

How do I align new sprockets before I put new chain on? (replacing tensioners)...I know they need to true, but how close do I need to be?

when i installed my new ones on the axles, i took measurements off the frame. you can measure to the hub of each sprocket . after that i ran a straight edge against the hubs. that should get them almost exact. hope this helps. john boy va.

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-12-2016 at 09:02 AM.

If I remember right, the tensioner sprockets are aligned via a series of washers. There ought to be several on each side of the tensioner sprocket to center it. The axle chain tensioners are like this, So I figure the primary chain tensioners should be, too.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Anyone use Agri Supply 17t, 1/2in bore? another member said they're better and only $10...Max wants $34 each.

Quote Originally Posted by snackmaster View Post
    Anyone use Agri Supply 17t, 1/2in bore? another member said they're better and only $10...Max wants $34 each.
    I will say that if Mark says its a good product and he uses it then its worth it. He will not steer you wrong. When the time comes to replace these sprockets I will buy them.

awesome, thanks...i was afraid of the low price. curious tho, does the max have 6 or 4? i ask b/c there is a sprocket/disc brake up front, correct? another member said 6, im probably thinkin too much...(i leav my max out of state, everything i have to ask is from memory)

The axle chains have one each (4) and the transmission has two. Six total on a Max IV, which I believe you have due to the chain pin count you mentioned in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by snackmaster View Post
    How do I align new sprockets before I put new chain on? (replacing tensioners)...I know they need to true, but how close do I need to be?
    I always use a magnetic extension too and get the alignment from that.

+ Reply to Thread