Emergency drive belt & other parts ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Emergency drive belt & other parts ?

Emergency drive belt & other parts ?

O.k folks, i have a bit of a story & then a question or two, if ya'll dont mind.
    So, The only time i have ever had a " serrrious failure" while a-field was the time my Pa decided we had to "find the lost lake he spied in an arial photo"... It was Pa, my buddy Steve & myself. Took us an hour to drive to the spot off the highway where there was supposed to be a trail, then Approximately Two hours into the bush down a glorified goat path, which was swamped out more offten then not, up, over & down a huge bloody hill and TADDAH. ! We found the lake, after a few minutes of silent observation, with a look of satisfaction on his face he spun the Argo about & we headed for home...however, as we crawled up that first big hill, the drive belt snaps ! Now what do we do ? Keep in mind that the old man at the time, (about 20 yrs ago) is about 67 yrs old, severely diabetic, & way over do for food & insulin. We tried everything from tearing our shirts and even Steves blue jeans & braiding them into a belt, but, no good. So my plan was to walk out and if he got too weak we could make a "travois" and pull him out. However the Argo was only a few years old at the time & no matter what i tried i could not convince Pa to leave the Argo and return later with a belt. He chose to have me and steve walk back to the car, and drive his old station wagon through the bush dragging the argo trailer... He said " a 20 yr old wagon vs a 3 yr old argo, do the math boy".. So thats what we did.. And we made it, somehow.. But when we got home that night the station wagon had to be sent to the scrap yard.. It Had a hole in both pans & the broke the rad so lost all her fluids, destroyed the suspention, i can go on & on but you get the point. All of which could have been avoided with a spare belt...
    So questions, any other spare parts that are "must haves" that you guys carry ?
    Also, at over $100. Cad. For an argo belt, can i use any other belt as just in case to get out of the bush ? Like a snowmobile belt or something ? Id put the proper belt on when i get home. Just the idea of spending that much on a belt i may never need is a tough one.
    Sorry about the length of my story, i didnt realize how long this would end up..
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

A good trail kit is essential if you plan on exporling the harder reach areas, keep in mind the only vehicle that can come help you in these isolated areas would most likely be another Argo.

My kits are pretty well stocked with McGyver type stuff and a few actual spare parts (I have a "just in case" kit in every toy I own). I keep spare plugs, a belt, 2 extra drain plugs, 12ga wire, bailing wire, duct tape, zip ties, tire plugs, low psi tire guage, hand pump, RTV silicon, 2 ratchet straps, and hand tools that are specific to the vehicle.

I have a "univeral" chain made up with a bunch of master links in it. All joined together, this chain is the correct length for my longest chain but each master separates into shorter lengths to match the other chains. If any chain breaks, there is a replacement somewhere in the universal spare. I'm quite proud of this chain lol.

here is a good older thread on the subject http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...y-supplys.html
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

When we replace a belt on an Argo the old belt always goes between the gas tank and upper body behind the seat, you just never know.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

All good stuff, thanks guys, i hate to be a bother but.. I just pulled the left front tire to grease the bearing and i notice the axel slides in and out about 3/4 of an inch, is that normal ?
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"

no check bearing and might as well check all bearings.

Ive had Argos come in with Carlisle aftermarket belts but when I priced them cost was close to factory. I reccomended replacing the belt when still in good shape and keeping it for spare. I don't like to put a new belt on and head out in case of a failure. Like to break in a belt before hard use. Probably just habit from snowmobile days.

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    Ive had Argos come in with Carlisle aftermarket belts but when I priced them cost was close to factory. I reccomended replacing the belt when still in good shape and keeping it for spare. I don't like to put a new belt on and head out in case of a failure. Like to break in a belt before hard use. Probably just habit from snowmobile days.
    This is sound advice, I practice the same routine with all my belt drive machines.

To add to the list, something else I picked up on from these forums was governor springs. If the little spring connecting the throttle arm and governor arm falls off your machine is dead. I carry a couple spares of those. Also a spare throttle cable as some have had issues with the end falling apart and becoming useless. Also if you can find some kind of plastic case that fits about right in the hole in the floor pan under the drivers feet you can fit a lot of the tools you'll need in there to do just about any trail repair. Check out military surplus for that. I carry spare axles but I question weather I could really get a broken one out while on the trail since my old conquest parts would probably be too seized up to remove without cutting some stuff with a torch or grinder. I didn't have room left under my seat to fit my spare belt so I attached it to the winch support frame inside the engine bay with bailing wire. Also carry some spare push rods and know how to replace them and diagnose their failure. Also carry one of those little magnets on a stick in case you drop a pushrod down into the engine, and other dropped parts retrieval.

Hot Damn Coast to coast ! You practically take an Argo dealer with you !
    The only thing You forgot is the "wet bar" ! 🍺🍾

+ Reply to Thread