i know this is asked often, but need some help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: i know this is asked often, but need some help

i know this is asked often, but need some help

Hey guys. I've been on here for quite a while. Seen several deals on some machines, but they've always been too far away, or a little deep for my pockets. (But I love sharing what I find for someone else to snatch up!) Well, now I have three machines that are a decent distance from me and reasonably priced. Now, the predicament. First is a 2000ish Max II. It needs all new tires, has had the engine replaced with a 22 hp predator, and the wiring was apparently trashed and the guy repaired. Second is a mid 90's Argo 6x6. It's the farthest and most expensive, but the ad says it needs carb cleaned??? The last is a 79 hustler 950. It looks mostly stock and in good condition. Any suggestions fellas?
    Thanks!
    Kevin
    Immature. A word used by boring people to describe fun people.

Its really a matter of choice and how well the previous owner has maintained the machine.All 3 would be a good choice as,they have alot going for them.Out of all 3 the Max sounds like it has seriously been abused,it all comes down to what you want to pay and can you put more money into something that needs repairs....

Stoney,

If its any help I'll share with you the logic I applied when I decided I wanted a 6x6. I looked all over the internet and determined I could spend up to several thousand to buy a decent running machine. Even then, I still wouldn't really know it's mechanical condition. So instead of buying a running machine, I bought one very cheap that literally came in buckets of parts and bolts. I'm investing in rebuilding/new parts so when I'm done, I know what I've got.

Perhaps it would be helpful for members to help you if you posted a link to the ad or pics of the machines.

any suggestions?
    Thanks

kevin

Well, I don't know where it went but I swear I sent a reply last night.....but let me try again.
    My experience is only with a Hustler, which I have owned for a few months and is not running yet (i.e. take this for what its worth!!). I would stay away from the Max. Sounds like its been heavily ridden just as eddieb said above. The hustler looks just like mine, so it should have a T20 transmission which will deliver power to all 6 wheels regardless of traction. I suggest you do some research on the Argo as I think it has a different type of transmission -- one that acts like an open differential--delivering power to all 6 wheels until one side slips. Then you have to feather the brakes to make the traction side get power. This may or may not impact your use of the machine.

I can also tell you, even without ever running my Hustler, I did not like the chain tensioner system. It seemed inadequate based on its design. Also the T20 trans. sits in a slotted mount, which will allow it to "roll" out of the mount due to torque. All of these things can be addressed, though, if you are willing to take the time and have the patience to do so.

Of course, you will have to inspect each machine to know its mechanical condition.....Good Luck. Maybe another member , who is familiar with the Argos, will chime in on the transmission differences.

Thanks!

I think the Argo is the best of the 3. It will definitely bring you more money when you decide to sell. The carbs on the Briggs can be a pain sometimes, but sometimes they are easy to clean. Go look at it and spend an hour or so going over it to see what your getting.

This is Just my two cents, & I don't know a lot about the different types of machines but as for the max, for being the newest of the three to already have needed an engine swap, re-wiring, and having A fractured hull, well that just doesn't sound good to me... Sounds to me like it was Rode very hard and put away wet. As for the hustler, to be honest I never even heard of one until joining this group and i have been drooling over pictures of the members toys ever since.. I really want one of these as a "toy" ! they look so sleek compared to the other machines and I've seen people make them fast. As previously mentioned ,The Argo has your best chance for resale value, and depending on what you want to do with it they make one hell of a solid machine. Look at how many of them are still in use 30 + years later ... It all comes down to you though mate, what do you want to do with it, how much work can you do yourself and how much are you willing to invest. Definitely keep us posted though because I'm curious which way you're going to go.
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

+ Reply to Thread