Amphibious walking beam trailer

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Amphibious walking beam trailer

Amphibious walking beam trailer

I have to build a trailer to pull behind my Max IV. It will be used for carting supplies to and from our cabin. I've built 2 in the past but never a amphibious one. Right now I'm looking for ideas, thinking of making the tub out of 1/8" 5052 alum. it will be 27" wide and 56" long at the top, the front will slope down about 40* so the bottom will be 38" long and 21" deep. I will use my old 25x12x9 tires so I can use one for a spare on the Max if needed. Need to find some rims with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. I'm thinking about kind of a unibody design, just to keep it light.
    I know some of you have built amphibious trailers, I searched but found very little.
    I've had this hitch built for a while, it twists and rotates every way.

Here's an option.

Heavy duty plastic dump tube. You can get a lid also. They are commonly used in Alaska Seafood processing plants. Rated for 1,000 lbs.

Remco 6901 Single Wall Dump Tubs | Reusable Containers | DACO
    Last edited by Coldfoot; 12-21-2016 at 04:47 PM. Reason: pix added

I've built them for both Quads and AATV's, but not for a number of years now. I, by far, recommend the Tandem Axle Walking Beam Design, they are much more stable in rough terrain.
    Below are some pics of one of my Quad designs. Notice that I used a set of Hubs for the Walking Beams, MUCH quieter than Bushing design. Also, Make sure to install a Drain Plug (I like to put them near the center front, right by the Hitch Pipe.) Also, on this one I flipped the Walking Beam Hubs around backwards to allow me to mount the Walking Beams as close to the Tub as possible. Some of my trailers also have a Ball mounted at the back of the trailer to allow pulling 2 or more trailers as a Train.

Hope this helps you out

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfoot View Post
    Here's an option.

Heavy duty plastic dump tube. You can get a lid also. They are commonly used in Alaska Seafood processing plants. Rated for 1,000 lbs.

Remco 6901 Single Wall Dump Tubs | Reusable Containers | DACO
    Thanks Coldfoot.
    I searched for a poly tubs and could not find anything like that, I even looked at sprayer tanks I could cut the top off. Just couldn't find anything with the right dimension's.
    Thats when I started thinking about an alum tub. If all my figures are right I can make it out of 1 4x8 sheet.

Very nice ideas.

I was afraid to open this thread. "Walking beam" sends chills down my back. Anyone that's ever had to re-bush an old Mack suspension knows what I mean. Both these trailers look good.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    I've built them for both Quads and AATV's, but not for a number of years now. I, by far, recommend the Tandem Axle Walking Beam Design, they are much more stable in rough terrain.
    Below are some pics of one of my Quad designs. Notice that I used a set of Hubs for the Walking Beams, MUCH quieter than Bushing design. Also, Make sure to install a Drain Plug (I like to put them near the center front, right by the Hitch Pipe.) Also, on this one I flipped the Walking Beam Hubs around backwards to allow me to mount the Walking Beams as close to the Tub as possible. Some of my trailers also have a Ball mounted at the back of the trailer to allow pulling 2 or more trailers as a Train.

Hope this helps you out

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Just spent over an hour replying to your post and everytime I hit submit reply it has me logged out so I have to log back in. Well the last time it lost it. Have to go now but I will get back to you! And thanks for the info

Roc Doc, that is a nice trailer.

Definitely a walking beam. It's on my project list. Only way to go. Yours has great ground clearance. Looks like you've angled the main beam to add height. It's well thought out.

Your tie down points look great. The ability to secure 4x8 sheets of material is important to me. I like to add a couple winch points front and rear if I have to drop the trailer in the mud hole and winch it out.

Ok here's the shortened version of reply that was lost in cyber space!

Both trailer's look good to me!
    Roc Doc, do you know what type of alum you made your trailers out of and the thickness? The local supplier said 3003 or 5052 will bend without breaking.
    I like how you used the alum tub for added strength in your build, like a unibody auto. Raising the tongue is smart, I've noticed the tongue on the trailer I use now drags on some of the high hills.
    Any idea how much your trailer weighs? A 4x8 sheet of 1/8" is about 58#, 4 tires and rims about 150# not sure on the hubs and axle stubs but for 4 maybe 40# than all the rest of the steel 30#.
    Around 300#, that is lighter than my other one I've built.
    I still need to find some 9" 5 on 4.5 wheels, I wouldn't think they would have to be a locking bead, if anybody has a supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Hideous 4x4 View Post
    Ok here's the shortened version of reply that was lost in cyber space!

Both trailer's look good to me!
    Roc Doc, do you know what type of alum you made your trailers out of and the thickness? The local supplier said 3003 or 5052 will bend without breaking.
    I like how you used the alum tub for added strength in your build, like a unibody auto. Raising the tongue is smart, I've noticed the tongue on the trailer I use now drags on some of the high hills.
    Any idea how much your trailer weighs? A 4x8 sheet of 1/8" is about 58#, 4 tires and rims about 150# not sure on the hubs and axle stubs but for 4 maybe 40# than all the rest of the steel 30#.
    Around 300#, that is lighter than my other one I've built.
    I still need to find some 9" 5 on 4.5 wheels, I wouldn't think they would have to be a locking bead, if anybody has a supplier.
    5052 sounds right. I'm drawing a blank on what wire I used to weld, it had a name, not a number.....
    Tub is 1/8", I tried going thinner, but it was too much of a PITA.
    Not sure on the weight, but I can easily load it into a truck myself.
    If you want more clearance between the trailer and ground, or trailer and Tub fenders, you can arc the walking beams a bit.

I actually have a 5' tub all bent and ready to weld up sitting behind my shop at home, I really should get back at that project (Sorry guys, not for sale)

This one has a rear tow ball, a front dry box, and "stake pockets" inside. The Stake Pockets allow me to put PVC pipe in to make a "covered Wagon" frame. Flex a piece of PVC pipe into an upside down U, stick the ends into the pockets, cover with a tarp, and away you go.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

On the first trailer I posted, in the pic of the bottom of the trailer, you can see 4 welds, 2 above and 2 below the center hub. I cut the beams most of the way through with a Chop Saw, then flexed the cuts closed and welded them back up. This arced the beams about 2 inches to give me more clearance. Tires to tub and Tub to ground.

+ Reply to Thread