GelCoating a Body

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GelCoating a Body

GelCoating a Body

Have any of you guys ever reGelcoated a upper or lower body ?
    I am getting the repair work close on the StarCraft and wanted to reapply the Gelcoat.
    Is it needed ? and if so can I brush it on rather than spray ?
    Thoughts on this would be helpful !
    hanks up front !!

if the color is not going to be mixed with the gel it can be brushed on and sanded smooth. At least I have done It that way on boats etc..

COOL ! I was going to get some that is Black already . I also watched on U,Tube to use the NO WAX stuff as it is better to build up the finish ?
    You use this ?
    Hate to ask all these Q's but this stuff is Not Cheap and I want to do it rite !
    Thank you Nubs for the input !

They say no wax to build layers but it will always be tacky unless its top coated (paint/sealer), depending on the size of the repair one can use wax paper to seal off the air t'il it sets. That's what the wax does.
    waxed works fine but you need to scuff and wipe down with acetone between coats, that's the way i've done it but i'm far from any kind of glass guy.

Thank you Nubs ! A little in site is what I am after !
    I will give it a shot .

I would try a spot first to see how it lays down with the brush, if your doing the whole body then spraying maybe the best. air temp and humidity all play parts in the deal.

good luck

Any updates on this project or did i miss something?

Just about have the outer bottom done. Not the best looking but it is the bottom ?
    Today I am going to try and finish the big hole in the side. Then I will get some GelCoat and see how it works.
    One Question for you ? Do you HAVE to Ge Coat over the fiberglass ? Is it a Sealer Or is it more for looks .

It makes it smooth and allows you buff scratches etc but not needed, primer and paint will work just fine. are you painting the complete body?

I was planning on a total repaint. I am working ot the lower tub rite now and that is Kicking my A$$
    So If the glass is good on it's own I may save the $50. And just paint it if you think it will be good to go ?

+ Reply to Thread