Snowball

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snowball

Snowball

Well what started as a 4 stroke swap and bearing and chain replacement has escalated in to a full blown project. Not that I mind but now I know what to look for when looking at an older machine. A big plus is by the time I'm done my max ii will be custom built just for me. It should do almost everything I want it to do short of climbing straight up and flying.
    ->What I need to do-
    Rebuild starter ( this depends on how soon I find a 4 stroke to swap, it's currently jlo 440, not going to be ideal for my uses)
    Fix rust on front right frame
    Chains and tensioners, just going to use the upgraded style tensioners or build some similar to it.
    Bearings
    Repair tub has some holes drilled in the back and I want to reshape some sagging
    Custom seat due to me being disabled going to need good padding and breathable cover.
    Rebuild wiring harness
    Tires
    ->What I want to do-
    4 stroke swap with the biggest baddest I can afford
    Bearing cages
    Stereo
    Cb
    Led lighting interior, exterior, and maybe something like blackout lights for getting to my hunting spot early a.m.
    Windshield
    Custom soft top, I have a geo tracker top I'm going to try and make something of
    Home brew tracks
    Quiet exhaust ( something I can put on for hunting season and my campsite or I can uncork and run balls out)
    Custom aluminum bed, someone cut the upper like a lil truck and the angle and expanded steel isn't doing it for me, may possibly buy a different upper depending on deals I encounter.
    Winch at least on front
    Body band
    Brace up frame with gussets and maybe add bracing in the seat and entry exit area to help keep from body sagging, again I'm disable so the side will be bearing all my weight on entry and exit.
    Bilge pump at least one
    Some sort of cabin heater whether a small fan just blowing engine heat or possibly using the oil cooler
    Cup holders
    Two 12v power ports and two USB ports(USB ports will depend on head unit I use when I get stereo)
    Bend up a handle or add motorcycle master cylinder to work the breaks. Leaning towards building something using the motorcycle style so I can keep both hands on the steer sticks.
    Depending how it floats I might build some pontoons from 8" sewer pipe. I'm guessing I will need them for extended water use, after body band and winch and added bracing it will probably be tippy. The thought had crossed my mind of using foam insul board to help with buoyancy but not convinced it will help much, any opinions on this? If I line the whole tub? Shouldn't take up much space.
    One piece hdpe skid plate
    That's my build idea so far with some stuff only being seasonal. Any ideas, suggestions, or experiences with any of this fell free to chime in. Let me know if any of my ideas suck or would be unnecessary or if there's something better.
    Of course the need list gets done before the want list but my mind never stops so the list is subject to change. Hopefully after this afternoon I will be able to make progress worth showing off instead of just asking questions and soaking in the information. Seems like alot to do but some stuff works in conjunction with other stuff so it's not really as much as it sounds like.
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 07-22-2017 at 03:48 AM.

Sounds like a lot of work. But it will be exactly what you want when it's all done. Hope you have enjoy rebuilding it. You've come to the right place for advice. I had a friend who was paralised who I wanted to build an amphib for but he didn't have much use of his hands. He needed joystick controls.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone9 View Post
    Sounds like a lot of work. But it will be exactly what you want when it's all done. Hope you have enjoy rebuilding it. You've come to the right place for advice. I had a friend who was paralised who I wanted to build an amphib for but he didn't have much use of his hands. He needed joystick controls.
    I'm pretty lucky my arms are still good to go. And I wonder sometimes which I like more building stuff or running it

So now finally, after almost two and a half years my Max ii is almost a new machine. Now I just have to put it together one more time. A few small changes for my charging system and it will hopefully be staying together until it's time for maintenance. I decided not to run the gm alternator because the CV tech clutch is a decent amount deeper than the duster was, so in turn I didn't have room for the alternator pulley. I'm adding an extra charge coil and rectifier/regulator. I decided against a radio since my wife bought me some decent wireless headphones. I'm hoping 6 amps will be enough to keep up with the lights, which are all led. I just have the headlights and hand have some small led tails ordered and a 6 inch led light to mount somewhere on the front of the machine. So after it's all together again, I can start on my body band and winch mount, then a custom topper. I am using a battery from a Jeep Grand Cherokee, it pretty much fills a group 27 battery box so I'm hoping I'm good for juice, if not I will run a battery isolator and one of my extra wheelchair batteries just for lighting purposes.
    Sorry about all the rambling on but I'm pretty excited to finally have my Max ii all repaired and should be a solid machine for a long time. I'm right around 2 grand+/- invested, I don't think that's too hateful for a completely rebuilt machine. If I had to do again I'd have just bought a $2000.00 machine and been riding it a long time ago. But at least now I have the experience and know how that I feel confident in taking on any t20 equipped machine to fix or rebuild.
    DanW

dan...you can be proud of what you accomplished ! it sounds like a top of the line custom max. i sure enjoy my max 2 highboy custom build just cause it was fun and is a different kind of ride . have fun and a great christmas !! johnboy va.

Thank you Johnboy. It's been a long road with plenty of things getting in the way of my progess but it's been fun so far. Now that the important stuff is sorted out I can finally start on my want list, lol. It's been a good learning experience, but I'm glad I will finally be able to do more than short little troubleshooting runs and actually get to use it. The past year or so has just been short little shake downs and figure out problems then something else comes up that is more priority than the max.
    Johnboy, are you still using your half tracks? If so I was wondering how you are liking them after putting more time on them? Tracks are on my to-do list but first I want to do synthetic bearings extensions and add another two sets of frame rails, one against the tub for my plow mount and accessories I want to build, then another further out beside the tires just to help make the axles more rigid. Maybe that's a little over kill but I'd rather be over built than under built.
    DanW

Also Merry Christmas to you Johnboy.
    DanW

Dw89xj,
    dang man..... way to stick with a project!!! post us some pics! Maybe you spent more than you wanted to at first, but you know your machine is in mint condition, and you know it wont let you down. nice job man!!!! Hope my project works out like yours!

New problem, same bolts as I assume it always had but I can't get enough thread on the u channels. I was always taught the distance of the diameter plus an 1/8 inch for full strength of a bolt, I can't see two or three threads being enough.
    DanW

Quote Originally Posted by Airhorn View Post
    Dw89xj,
    dang man..... way to stick with a project!!! post us some pics! Maybe you spent more than you wanted to at first, but you know your machine is in mint condition, and you know it wont let you down. nice job man!!!! Hope my project works out like yours!
    If I can do it anyone can.
    DanW

+ Reply to Thread