New members, introduce yourself here

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 722 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 511 ... LastLast

Thread: New members, introduce yourself here

Quote Originally Posted by mxrider4life847 View Post
    Well hello the great world of 6x6'ers! Got room for another??? Anyways, my name is Scott and i am from the north tx area. I am a proud owner (original owner) of a terra tiger. Actually, back in the day, my father and his father (my grand dad) went halves and bought it together for various reasons. I remember as a child, my dad would always take me around in it up cliffs, off cliffs, high speed turns and in the water. As a little guy, i of course was scared to death of it and it was loud! Anyhow, one night, my dad put it away under the carport, and an un-expected rain came through. Well the previous ride, he was in the water and didn't take the plugs out, therefore it filled up with rain. So i remember dad was mad and tried to fix it up but ran out of time and for several years it sat in the back of the barn as a shelf, piling things on top for storage. As i grew older, i started getting gaining some interest in the beast and took it upon myself to do something with it. My dad would not sell it because it has sentimental values with him and his dad. So he was under the impression that there were no more parts to be found for it and figured it wasn't worth the time and effort to repair. So several years back, i took a huge interest in it and began searching all over the internet looking for parts and what not. If i remember right, our biggest issue was tires, because the one piece tires were not being manufactured anymore. Thats when we found Route6x6.com, our questions were answered when we found the axle adapter for the new style tires. We purchased a couple and mounted them in the center. Fixed the engine, and off we were! And then as usual with all other old machines, things break. We had broken a chain, blew the top end, couple more tires, pull starter broke, and so on. No money to fix, so we parked it again in the garage and let it be.

So that brings me to today! Its still in the garage of course, but im ready to fix it up. Winter is coming and usually here in north tx its not much of one, however i want that sucker to be ready when we get our once a year snow/ice! I would like to get it back into good shape so that some time i could join a 6x6 ride with others!

Here are some things i would like to do to it. I will have to replace the fuel line. It broke off at the floor, so that will be a project i know. The old fuel tank weather cracked and i never could get it sealed correctly. so i ended up using a removable boat tank but never did get it mounted correctly. The Ignition switch is bad. I know for a fact the contacts are wore out so that will need replacement. The exhaust, i for some reason, never did get that figured out. If i remember right, i never could find the right size flexible exhaust line. So i found the best to fit and cut it to clamp it down. So i had to run with fumes! That will be an easy fix. I have tire issues of course! I would really like to get the old style tires back on it. I would need 3 or 4 i presume, not for sure though.

Lets move on to the engine as its a whole different animal! It is the original JLO L295. I had blown the top end, so i put a new one in it. And a new head. To this point, if memory serves me right, it was hard starting and wouldn't run long... like 30 seconds if that. So i rebuilt the carburetor (tillotson HR68A i think... again!) While replacing the welch plugs... (even though i shouldn't have) i drilled a bit too much and went through the casing. So that being said, i think my problem lies there so i will need another... YeAH! The spark plug... well the great big huge one that goes in it originally, was reduced down to a smaller one. The head has a steel insert in it so that it will keep the head from wearing out. So i will need a new plug, id rather start out fresh. The crank seals could use replacement, i never got too deep as intended but i remember that the seals are definitely original and are most likely definitely leaking air which could also result in my running problem. The pull cable is good, but the old rubber T handle is broke. I need one of them. The starter, should be good, i had it overhauled last time i was fooling around with it, but the ignition switch took a dump on me so that will be determined. I would also like to get a fly wheel puller or at least have someone give me some tips for a good way of pulling it. I never did get it off so i had a tough time adjusting the points and cleaning them. A new set of points wouldn't be a bad idea either. And the coil, i need a new one of those also. They seem to always be tricky as that could also cause my running problem. I have all the manuals, and parts diagrams and what not, even the old brochure from when it was bought!

Well i think this covers just about everything! Its a bit long but hey, hopefully someone here has some great info and experience they wouldn't mind handing down. I'm an aircraft mechanic, and i go to school full time trying to get my license. I used to race cross country dirt bikes and broke too many things and had to get out. I love to learn new things and am open to anyones advice! Thanks guys for a great site!!
    coollllllllllllllllllll one of the carolina boys brian. has a terra tiger . i'm shure race will chim in on it . welcom to the site . robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

justmax ,

Welcome to the amphibious forum . Post some pics of your amphibs when you get the time .

mxrider4life847

Welcome to the amphibious forum We have a group of amphibs that ride together when ever we can , at River Run Park . Its in Neches , tx and has over 2,800 acreas ,and its a GREAt place to take an amphib if you own one. Come ride with us when you get yours running right .
    Last edited by Mike; 09-16-2008 at 07:21 AM. Reason: There is no need for two posts

mxrider4life847

Sounds like it is going to be a very fullfilling project. Welcome to the site. I am not sure what a JLO engine is but I have read it here lots and am fairly certain that someone can help you.

Good luck, post pictures, and most of all have fun!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Hi all. Brand new here. I live in a western suburb of Minneapolis. I am considering buying a new Max and joined so I can do some research and ask a few questions before I make the plunge.

My first 6-wheeler was a used Scrambler I bought in the early to mid 70's. It was an under-powered machine with (I think) a 6 hp, 4 cycle engine. I got tired of it pretty quickly and a couple years later moved up to a used 2 cycle, 440 cc Max. It seems to me it was called a Big Max back then. Man I loved that machine!! If I recall, I could get close to 40 MPH out of it. There were no ATV owners around me back then, so I used to run with the dirt bikes. Good times. Unfortunately, reality set in and I had to eventually sell it when I built my first house

A couple of the things I didn't like about it that I hope has been resolved:
    1. That machine was forever fouling out plugs. Should have had stock in Champion!
    2. The tires were thin rubber welded to a steel rim. Punctures were an everyday occurance.
    3. It seemed to roll over easily; either that or it was just me constantly testing the limits of the machine. Thank God for the 3 point roll bar!

So anyway, I look forward to a lot of reading and hope I don't pester you all too much with questions.

Welcome Bruce! I am a relative NewB and I got almost ALL my info here. Yes, 2-Strokes love to fowl plugs, but if you get it tuned right, and run a plug that's the right heat-range, they will last a while. If the tires you are thinking about were one-piece, and had a tiny 3-bolt hub, I have heard a lot about them being fragile, never personally had one, but I have found the Carlisle and Goodyear Chevrons are quite durable. Never rolled mine, came close, but no. (Thankfully, as I have NO roll-bar.)
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Just bought a 2005 MaxIV with 10 hrs on it, roll bar, canvas top, 23" goodyears

Im in Oregon near Portland, out in the country on 20 acres.

Also have a Honda fat cat, and mini truck to play with

I hope to learn a lot from this site on maintenance & new ideas.

I also like Yanmar diesel tractors

Max Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Dude View Post
    I also like Yanmar diesel tractors
    OOHHH, I think I know a project your gonna love!

BTW Welcome to the site!!
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Farm Dude and Bruce h

Welcome to the 6x6 and 8x8 forum

Farm Dude , good luck with the Max IV you recently bought. I also have one myself , and its been a great machine. Bruce h. , good luck finding an amphib that fits your needs . You have sure come to the right place to find one , because some one is always posting about amphibs for sale here . Thats how I found the Hustler 980 I recently bought .
    Last edited by mudbug3; 09-20-2008 at 01:33 AM.

New Member just wants to say hello

Well, just like the title says, I'm new and this is my first post. I don't have a 6x6 yet but i plan to get one soon. so far i'm doing my research. There is a local store where they sell the max II with a winch, windshild and canopy for $7500, is that a good price, I'm pretty sure they are brand new but i haven't confirmed it yet. any tips would be great thanks.

Welcome to the site! As for the max II pricing, that depends on which model it is. ie. What size motor does it have? You may want to check the used market too as you can probably find a used one with only a hand-full of hours on it for several thousand less.

+ Reply to Thread