Digital angle readouts for ATV's and AATV's

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Digital angle readouts for ATV's and AATV's

Digital angle readouts for ATV's and AATV's

I was talking with Barrows Argo, as I am getting my new Avenger STR from them, and he was thinking the following might be a good idea. I work for a company the makes inclinometers and accelerometers. I was thinking that a dual axis inclinometer, in a self contained box with a display would be a great addition to an ATV, or AATV. If you were going up a slope, it would read out the exact angle in degrees you were climbing. Also, with a dual axis inclinometer, you could see the slope when you are side hilling. Other than the accurate curiosity factor, it could prevent someone from exceeding the roll over specifications of their machine. It could have audible alarms if you tried to go up to steep a hill, or drove across a steep hill. I have already determined that I will install one on my new Argo when it arrives, although it will be a highly accurate temperature compensated sensor that I will build into and program a self contained box. This sensor alone normally sells for $1200, but we have far less expensive ones for general use. I was thinking an entire self contained unit running off 12 VDC, for around $200, but as this is just my idea, I won't hold to that. Our engineering team is a bit busy at the moment to develop one for general sale, but I don't mind being the guinea pig. I have the skills to complete the project.

My question is, is this something that would be of interest to others? Both axes would be reported at the same time on a small display. It might say you were going up a 10° hill, with a 2.34° slant. The unit temperature could even be displayed, and possibly an independent temperature sensor could give outside temperature.

At this time, this is nothing more that an idea, and although I will be putting one on my Argo, I am just wondering if this is something that could be useful.

Steve

A device that could utilize real time data and translate it into the pucker factor represented by actual statistics. Perhaps more than one option for the display, numerical and graphic. I have operated my machine at some questionable angles but didn't feel like I was in danger of rolling over. I'm curious if people that have rolled over also felt secure at the time or if they knew they were pushing the limits. Would I reference oem guidelines, data from previous rides, or data shared by other riders?

I have on of these installed in the Coot
    https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugge...T5_Var4=J11582

Works as long as you are not moving lol, otherwise it rocks and shakes the readings too much to really see. I'd be interested in a more functional version (one that stays steady as the vehicles drives over bumps.

There are cell phone apps that will do this as well, but personally I like to use my phone as a phone and have devices do the job they where designed for.

Scimansteve, this type of device would not be useful to me, as I use my 6x6 purely for recreational purposes and it has a lower center of gravity (I believe) compared to other machines. My machine is a Hustler and it sits low to the ground, and both the engine and transmission sit low in the tub. As such, I can't get enough traction to go up a steep enough incline to flip, and I believe I would slide down a hill before rolling the machine. Although, Hustler machines are in the minority so others may have a use for it.

I appreciate the feedback. I can set a bandwidth, so bumps wouldn't show up. To me, it is more of a curiosity factor, as I could honesty state that I went up a 57.246 degree hill. To some extent, a phone could give a rough idea, but a sensor should be mounted, and any bias subtracted from each axis. That is usually referred to as a tare function. Since I will certainly be adding one to my Argo, I will take pictures once it is finished. This will take a while, even after I get the Argo, as I will be building and programming a prototype. Most sensors change values depending on temperature, but the one I will be using is extremely stable from -40 to +85 C. It is rugged enough so that it can bounce along for years without damage or losing calibration.

Even if this never is feasible as a product, I am going to have some fun with it, and will post my results. I can set it for a maximum and minimum reading, both per trip, and all time. I am envisioning the sensor mounted to some type of leveling plate, and connected to the display box by cable. That will give me the most accurate readings.

Steve

I've had a few Suzuki Samurais that had the factory inclinometer/pitch angle meters on the dash. They were neat, and fun for the passenger to watch but pretty much a novelty item that does not provide any useful information.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    I've had a few Suzuki Samurais that had the factory inclinometer/pitch angle meters on the dash. They were neat, and fun for the passenger to watch but pretty much a novelty item that does not provide any useful information.
    Is there any information you wanted, but wasn't there? There are all sorts of possibilities. Most likely when I build mine, I will refine it as I find what is most helpful. It may not be worth making a product out of it, but since I have been working in engineering with accelerometers and inclinometers for the past 21 years, I can put together this project. My company is even giving me the sensor for free, and it's a $1200 sensor.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Scimansteve, this type of device would not be useful to me, as I use my 6x6 purely for recreational purposes and it has a lower center of gravity (I believe) compared to other machines. My machine is a Hustler and it sits low to the ground, and both the engine and transmission sit low in the tub. As such, I can't get enough traction to go up a steep enough incline to flip, and I believe I would slide down a hill before rolling the machine. Although, Hustler machines are in the minority so others may have a use for it.
    I would think this could apply to any ridged AATV, with no suspension travel, and their engines, transmissions and running gear literally bolted to the floor which rides at axle line you aren't going to get any lower center of gravity while still maintaining any semblance of ground clearance. That said add a little momentum to the equation and you will find anything can be rolled or flipped. There are plenty of Max II, IVs on youtube rolling over while being pushed to their limit. Tracks, aggressive ones like Escargo only add to the possibility since you can drive up walls. I 4wheel my truck a lot and what I've taken away is that the difference between rolling and not is less about knowing the angle you are at any given moment and more about your reaction time when you suddenly surpass that point or will surpass that point and need to accelerate to correct. The Coot makes my old Scrambiler 6x6 look like a double decker bus. 2 feet wider and 4 times heavier down where it helps stability wise I can get myself into situations that FAR exceed my pucker factor leaving me unsure of just how much more I can go before I could tip. At that point (entering the unknown) it can be really useful to have a tool that gives you some feed back since past 25 degrees on a side hill anything more doesn't feel more it's already feels like too much but if the machine is still within safety margin than I want to know so I can keep going. Likewise unlike a 4x4 truck where speed and power supplements traction and stability you have more time to keep an eye on instrumentation with a slow AATV.

Quote Originally Posted by scimanstev View Post
    Is there any information you wanted, but wasn't there? There are all sorts of possibilities. Most likely when I build mine, I will refine it as I find what is most helpful. It may not be worth making a product out of it, but since I have been working in engineering with accelerometers and inclinometers for the past 21 years, I can put together this project. My company is even giving me the sensor for free, and it's a $1200 sensor.

Steve

Sorry, let me clarify exactly what I meant by they are novelty items that do not provide any useful information...What I mean is, at that exact moment where "critical - about to tip over" information would be useful, chances are your eyes will be firmly focused on the terrain directly in front of you not the angle gauge mounted inside your rig. Pure pucker factor is a much more useful gauge then some arbitrary numbers on a readout that have no real life value. Say for example 38 degrees is your magic red zone number on a smooth grass hill, throw a small rock or tree root in your path and the momentary weight shift will change your 38 degree safe zone into a 30 degree danger zone in a heart beat. This isn't even something you can learn as you will never be able to replicate any field tests with any degree of accuracy.

It would be neat to have as a conversational novelty item but they have no real world value.

That's OK. I will add audible warning sounds, that can be set by the user. To me, in addition to a warning system, I have the curiosity factor. I will keep track of max and min angles on a day, week, month, year, and all time. That way I could say on December 16th 2019 I went up a 75 degree hill, and came down an 80 degree cliff on the other side. The more I use it, the more I can think of that will make it useful, or at least fun.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread