speed problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: speed problem

Hybrid View

speed problem

So I have a 70's Swamp Fox and it doesn't want to go over about 7 mph. The belt looks alittle loose so couldn't that be the issue or does it sound like a bad torque converter? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Forward and reverse work fine so I am hoping the trans is fine.

Belt tension has a lot to do with speed slow and fast.

The larger the belt the less the pulleys can make use of their full range to get into "high" gear. Same if the belt is too tight. Do you have factory engine location and trans?

The original engine had been taken out and an article cat 340 was put in. Problem is they welded the engine mount so I have to cut it free and put tensioners on. Belt is fairly loose

You could try finding a smaller belt.

Finding a new belt size isn’t impossible you may be in luck and one could exist close to what you need.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#v-belts/=1a93g0w just some examples there are many more (you’ll pay more for odd sizes)

What I did was take out the old belt, measure its length with a cloth tape. Than make a belt from cardboard layered to the same thickness and cut to the same width. I wrapped that around the clutches as if it was the real belt and snipped it to the correct length. The only problem was the cardboard method will usually give a too perfect fit and you want some slack so add an inch or so to be safe. Then compare to the original belt the two shouldn’t be a huge amount off.

+ Reply to Thread