Argo vs. Max vs. ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!

View Poll Results: Which AATV is the best all around off-road machine?

Voters
261. You may not vote on this poll
  • Max

124 47.51%
  • Argo

109 41.76%
  • Other

28 10.73%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Argo vs. Max vs. ?

I don't see why the T-20 would do any more damage to grass than an Argo transmission. Both are braking to make the turn. The damage to the grass would be more due to tires used and how aggressive a person is turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Robio_8x8 View Post
    Argos are the most popular AATV and have been for the longest time. Possible because I grew up in Ontario but from what I see evening my travels weather you guys thing Argos are good or not they are like the Coke a cola of this type of vehicle. Even when I went to Australia I got a tour on an Argo. It is the Kleenex Tissue of AATVs and has been for decades. One of the selling features of the Argo is the low impact it has on the environment. The T-20 rips up the grass and or its own tires when it turns. Argos have out sold all the other brands 10 fold. Max has been its only long term competitor.
    When I see ads of any other brands they say it is like an Argo or an Argo type vehicle so others know what the hell it is
    might be in canda but here i doin't think so . i love my max and would not have anything but a max..
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Perceptions of popularity of machines certainly vary depending on your location. I live in Buffalo where they produce Maxes, but if I lived in Pittsburg, PA where Attex was produced at one time, I might assume that Attex is a more common machine than the Max because I live there so to say, right near where they are made and where there would be more of a concentration of that machine. I have talked to guys that call their Attex, "a Max", and others called their Attex "6 wheel Hustler type vehicle."

The reason the number of T-20 transmissions out there is larger than the amount of Argos is because the T-20 was also in so many different makes and models of AATVs over the years including Max of course, Hustler, Attex, Swamp Fox, Sears, Camel, Tomcat, Vamoose, Starcraft, and the Chaparral. Some of these companies were in business for many years and sold many T-20 equipped machines. The T-20 was also used in industrial applications such as the Hustler WingIt sprayer which was used in rice fields and other wetland areas.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Slip differential in Argo

Quote Originally Posted by jerrynuss View Post
    I don't see why the T-20 would do any more damage to grass than an Argo transmission. Both are braking to make the turn. The damage to the grass would be more due to tires used and how aggressive a person is turning.
    T-20 has a possi differential
    Harder on tires bearings etc but give you better traction

Quote Originally Posted by rdr View Post
    might be in canda but here i doin't think so . i love my max and would not have anything but a max..
    Its Global sales are very high and I am not saying it is the best product just a good seller. Coke may be the best known Soda-pop but you may like Pepsi.

Almost all the ads I see even from most parts of the USA will reference an AATV as an Argo style vehicle

Case in point
    Max II six-wheeler, amphibious 6x6, not Argo or bigfoot
    Zebulon, NC, United States

eBay Motors: Max II six-wheeler, amphibious 6x6, not Argo or bigfoot (item 120213231083 end time Jan-25-08 13:32:40 PST)

New Jersey, United States
    Sierra Trail Boss 6 X 6 ATV amphibious ARGO MAX ATTEX
    eBay Motors: Sierra Trail Boss 6 X 6 ATV amphibious ARGO MAX ATTEX (item 120214278736 end time Jan-29-08 20:50:41 PST)

2006 Max IV-600T Amphibious ......like an Argo 6x6 ATV

it is the scotch tape brand of scotch tape
    Last edited by Robio_8x8; 01-23-2008 at 12:59 AM.
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

Smile Which is best

I like the Max because I would want to be just like the guy in the Orange suit if I was 35 years younger! HA Ha HA

Smile Not Happy with my Argo

My argo is a snale and its steering is not to responsive its tough to measure up to a guy like whipper or his wife for that matter, Im always last in line. Not for long though........

Quote Originally Posted by benrich View Post
    My argo is a snale and its steering is not to responsive its tough to measure up to a guy like whipper or his wife for that matter, Im always last in line. Not for long though........
    I thought I was cool because I had keyed axles and sprockets with a new Honda 20hp on my Hustler..........until I saw the Whipper vids. Now I have to settle for having the coolest Hustler on my block

Just pick up that Hustler 980 BIGFOOT, put some splined axles in it with 530 O ring chain, put a 35HP Briggs in it and you'll be all set!

Quote Originally Posted by boncrshr View Post
    I thought I was cool because I had keyed axles and sprockets with a new Honda 20hp on my Hustler..........until I saw the Whipper vids. Now I have to settle for having the coolest Hustler on my block
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Dunno about that...I'd still be lacking springage...how 'bout that Kidd, with eight Kenda's, prop driven in the water and i think they came with diesels??

Quote Originally Posted by boncrshr View Post
    Dunno about that...I'd still be lacking springage...how 'bout that Kidd, with eight Kenda's, prop driven in the water and i think they came with diesels??
    That would be a monster! I think the standard engine was a 4 cylinder Wisconsin, but I think you might be right about there being a diesel option too. Here's the link for the site with all the information you might need.

The KID 8 x 8 ALL Terrain Vehicle
    Last edited by jpswift1; 01-23-2008 at 02:32 AM.

+ Reply to Thread