Finally talked her into letting me get one....questions???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Finally talked her into letting me get one....questions???

just so everybody knows i do now and have in the past owened 6x6 atv's im in no way shape or form cutting down 6x6 or 8x8 anpibs , but i do firmly stand by my comment that this technology is dated and could vary much so use updating especially considering the price point of new sales ! what im getting at is the doller vs tec . yes the t20 is an awsome unit ! if its not broken dont fix it i love the trans and its the best part of any 6x6 or 8x8 unit that has one in my opinion. who out there would not want a 6x6 or 8x8 with articulating suspension? not only would the ride be more comfortable but the unit would allso be more capable... at a 12 grand price point this is something you should expect not want and thats just for a small unit. how about deeper tubs so we could do more up grades? jet perpulsion for water ? that tec has been around for 40 years in anphibs but it will take from the bottom line at the manufacture so its out . all im saying is if they are going to ask a premium price they need to deliver an advanced product not a warmed over 30 or 40 year design. im a contractor and if i try to use products from 30 years ago i would have no customers you have to keep pace with the times and justify your prices thats all im saying so sorry to anybody that tolk my comments of amphibs as a direct blow to there owen.
    whats a four stroke ? you mean they make low h.p. motors that dont smoke ? who wants that ????
    like Henry FORD iv always got a better way

Ive been looking for a Max Iv for a little over a year, And I just picked one up yesterday. It is a 1991 Max IV with a 440 Kawasaki I have about 3200.00 into mine, it also came with a set of half tracks. I'm not sure on how to post a pic on the forums but it is the pic next to my name. I wasnt wanting to spend that kind of money at this time of the year but I thought I got a pretty good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by roblynn View Post
    i cant justify thousands of dollers for out dated and basic tec that im going to beat im the creek bed i still to this day dont know how or why these manufacturs put such a high sticker on a product thats not to much more advanced than a go cart with more chains and a plastic tub
    First off, your comment about AATVs being a product that isn't much more advanced than a go cart with a plastic tub missed the mark. There were a couple other members that were on the site for a very brief time that continuously pitched similar comments and some were even bashing AATVs. All the other members weren't very receptive to them and the negativity of their comments so they were simply taken with a grain of salt and everyone else just moved about their business and discussed these great machines in more of a constructive manor. Yes, they are simple compared to some other things out there, but they work GREAT (better than any 4 wheeler in the mud), they're cheap and easy to fix (price a Yamaha or Honda 4 wheeler rebuild against an Attex or Max), they are what started the ATV market, and we all like them so that's pretty much the end of the story on that. Now, let me clear things up for you about the price. Do you think they produce thousands and thousands of AATVs every year? No, it's a niche market. I'll break it down for you a bit. Here are just a few things regarding the manufacturing process of these machines. They use large aluminum molds to make the bodies that cost $50,000+, they have parts like axles, throttle cables, wiring harnesses, frames, and other mechanisms that are specifically made for them in somewhat small quantities, not in quantities of 10,000+ at a time. They have to have all the transmission parts specifically machined to their specs, they have to buy engines, clutches, belts, bearings, chain, wheels, tires, etc, etc. When manufacturers have to purchase all these parts in smaller quantities, especially the ones that are model specific to their machines it's not going to be cheap for them. You have to figure in all the overhead of a business that makes AATVs as well.....for example, the utility bills that the factory has to pay. Every year prices go up. You have to keep in mind ALL of the costs these companies incur; the external factors that drive these costs, the logistics, labor, taxes/fees, costs of plant, property, and equipment......these all are figured into the books and they price the vehicles accordingly. You have to keep in mind that AATV manufacturers are not huge companies like Ford or GM so their profit margins producing significantly fewer units will be smaller than a large company so drastic changes to the product line aren't always cost feasible. I've been in the business world and I teach how businesses work. I'll let some folks that run small business like Whipper and Bridget of Apache Gear chime in and explain this as well. Many people ask the same thing, "why do they charge so much for these basic machines?" but they don't think about everything I described.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    First off, your comment about AATVs being a product that isn't much more advanced than a go cart with a plastic tub missed the mark. There were a couple other members that were on the site for a very brief time that continuously pitched similar comments and some were even bashing AATVs. All the other members weren't very receptive to them and the negativity of their comments so they were simply taken with a grain of salt and everyone else just moved about their business and discussed these great machines in more of a constructive manor. Yes, they are simple compared to some other things out there, but they work GREAT (better than any 4 wheeler in the mud), they're cheap and easy to fix (price a Yamaha or Honda 4 wheeler rebuild against an Attex or Max), they are what started the ATV market, and we all like them so that's pretty much the end of the story on that. Now, let me clear things up for you about the price. Do you think they produce thousands and thousands of AATVs every year? No, it's a niche market. I'll break it down for you a bit. Here are just a few things regarding the manufacturing process of these machines. They use large aluminum molds to make the bodies that cost $50,000+, they have parts like axles, throttle cables, wiring harnesses, frames, and other mechanisms that are specifically made for them in somewhat small quantities, not in quantities of 10,000+ at a time. They have to have all the transmission parts specifically machined to their specs, they have to buy engines, clutches, belts, bearings, chain, wheels, tires, etc, etc. When manufacturers have to purchase all these parts in smaller quantities, especially the ones that are model specific to their machines it's not going to be cheap for them. You have to figure in all the overhead of a business that makes AATVs as well.....for example, the utility bills that the factory has to pay. Every year prices go up. You have to keep in mind ALL of the costs these companies incur; the external factors that drive these costs, the logistics, labor, taxes/fees, costs of plant, property, and equipment......these all are figured into the books and they price the vehicles accordingly. You have to keep in mind that AATV manufacturers are not huge companies like Ford or GM so their profit margins producing significantly fewer units will be smaller than a large company so drastic changes to the product line aren't always cost feasible. I've been in the business world and I teach how businesses work. I'll let some folks that run small business like Whipper and Bridget of Apache Gear chime in and explain this as well. Many people ask the same thing, "why do they charge so much for these basic machines?" but they don't think about everything I described.
    well said JP
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

ok , i guess most ppl on here are very defencive about there aatvs , let me start with this i come from a successful bisiness family . my family owened and operated what was the countrys largest union machine shop for many years , they did tool and die work for the big three for many years building things like "the large aluminum mold' you spoke of, thats called a die and yes there very expencive to have built . but they can allso be reworked and have a long life as long as treated correctly.

i was a union boilermaker my self for about 17 years building everything from power plants ,chemical refinerys,ships , underground tunnel bores,heavy equipment and so on.
    afew projects i,ve worked on are in the guinness book of records for size ,speed or being the first of its kind.
    Next i owen my bissness i work for myself and run my owen bissness ,have workers , have overhead , have equipment. every bissness man dose and i understand all of this inside and out .
    iv got a pritty good background in fabrication,machining, and mecanics. a entry level 6x6 paying full on retail for all parts subtract the tub would be under 6 grand all day and i think thats leaving alot of room, RI charges 1200 to 1300 a tub from what iv heard over the years, and there blems are around afew hundred bucks,wich means thats about what they have in one . and i can promiss you RI is not paying full on retail even in there small numbers, i know i dont and never will.
    if a company wants my bissness they have to work with me or i go ellswhere.
    thats my responsibility to my costomer to give them a good product at the best price possible.
    heres my next point allso if they start making some advancment in tec they will allso start to expand there costomer base wich means we all get more for less .
    as i said beffor if you dont keep with times you get left behind , a young man with 15 grand in his pocket dosent want to hear about chain drive with zero suspension when he can bie a side by side 4x4 that dose 90mph out of the box with suspension and a highly enjineered chassy for the same cash.some ppl will answere that a 6x6 isent for everybody.but in reality its for allot of ppl thats the whole point of an atv ,to go where ya cant in your car or truck or on your lawn mower the more places it gos and the more fun ya have doing it the better. and lets face it nothing gos more places than anphibs unless you got the batmobile parked at home

i think you guys see what im saying as bashing because im willing to descuss short comings .
    all i can say to that is if there is a hole in my roof i fix it and untill more ppl start expecting more from these companys for there monie it will not chainge.some ppl dont like chainge but thats part of reality ,things that dont evolve become part of the past.
    and one last time i think anphibs are awsome ! and your right they go places 4 wheelers cant dreem trust me i know, iv got lifted 4x4 quads and i can only get them in and out of about 2/3 of what a anphib will do and iv invested tons and tons of cash just to get them as capable as they are..
    whats a four stroke ? you mean they make low h.p. motors that dont smoke ? who wants that ????

Lets stay on topic, please.
    I would suggest roblynn reads this entire thread and if that doesnt help, start a new thread.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...roduction.html
    MAX IV Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MAX IV Mark View Post
    Lets stay on topic, please.
    I would suggest roblynn reads this entire thread and if that doesnt help, start a new thread.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...roduction.html
    MAX IV Mark
    HA! Mark,you beat me by 5 minutes...

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...tml#post115838

My link drills down to where the defensive posture really starts getting obvious....

I dont know what you are trying to get at,Argo(ODG) has made advances in almost everything they do.New models,more efficient transmissions,better service access,accessory packages,electronic convienience packages,design and appearance changes.These ARE a specialty AATV,the market is narrow and will remain so.The people that want a 4 wheeler or side by side want to be able to do 60-70 mph and will fly by things we will see at the speed our AATV's run.I also am not in water very often,so I dont need a jet drive to maintain or worry about,If I needed that I should get a boat and motor.I use my Argo for what it was intended for and dont want it to run 60mph the technology is correct for the machine.

Yes that would be my answere from your standpoint allso . Sorry for going of topic. Just want to say i wasent the only one

I will start a new thred on this topic in the next 24 to 48 hrs if anybody would like to discuss ,that way not to offend or brake rules. Thanks all and once agian sorry for any inconvenience

+ Reply to Thread