Front & rear bumpers, factory or not?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front & rear bumpers, factory or not?

Front & rear bumpers, factory or not?

I bought this Max IV a little less than a year ago, I believe it's a 1980's serial # 6448, that I have in the process of restoring back into working condition. It has these tube bumpers on it both front and rear that the guy I bought it from said he believed that they were for tracks. Has anyone ever seen a set up like this or are my suspicions right on that they are a homemade add on?

Rear bumper.jpgFront bumper.jpg

I remember this exact machine. I vividly recall the spray paint on the front of the machine. This one was for sale about a year ago for $500 on Rochester Craigslist. These aren't actually bumpers, like the seller said, they're for the tracks, and yes they were factory Recreatives parts, not homemade. Here's a pic of that very early track setup on a Max II.

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

You are correct, it is the one that was for sale on the Rochester Criagslist. I bought it and I am slowly bring it back to life. Thank you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by hornellfirefighter61 View Post
    You are correct, it is the one that was for sale on the Rochester Criagslist. I bought it and I am slowly bring it back to life. Thank you for the info.
    Happy to help! If you need any help, you've come to the right place! I'm glad you're bringing that Max back to life. The Max IV is a great machine. If you're in Hornell you're not too far from some big AATV events and some great AATV people around the Buffalo, NY area. Come up and ride and wrench with us sometime, we'd love to have you swing by!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Does anyone have any info on this early style track setup? I think it would be neat to restore them if I could track down at least the major parts, the front and rear bogie wheels and axles for them... Any info or other pictures of the setup will be helpful.

Thanks,
    Mike

My opinion is you will like the vehicle a lot more without that track setup. There is a real reason for not making that type very long. It would be neat to see one again but I've worked on them and driven machines with them, they were a pain and very heavy.

Yes I am from Hornell, NY. My original plan for the Max IV was to make it into a very capable machine for traveling onto frozen bodies of water for ice fishing. Over the past year of research on the machine and watching youtube videos of different rides I might have to attend a ride or two once I get it finished.

Quote Originally Posted by hornellfirefighter61 View Post
    Yes I am from Hornell, NY. My original plan for the Max IV was to make it into a very capable machine for traveling onto frozen bodies of water for ice fishing. Over the past year of research on the machine and watching youtube videos of different rides I might have to attend a ride or two once I get it finished.
    Come to the Ashtabula, Ohio ride in June. It's only about a 2 hour or so drive from you. It's the biggest AATV only event out there. Even if you don't have it done, still come by. There's trail riding, mudding, racing, a parts swap meet, etc. You'll have a blast and meet tons of great people. There'll be people there that'll let you try their machines out so you can get a feel for it too.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/6x6-a...ke-2014-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    My opinion is you will like the vehicle a lot more without that track setup. There is a real reason for not making that type very long. It would be neat to see one again but I've worked on them and driven machines with them, they were a pain and very heavy.
    I tried one out many years ago, it was a Max4 with a similar setup. It just had a 16hp Tec and it was heavy as all get out. I test drove it with the tracks and pulled it into a marshy area and promptly stuck the machine, at the time I was driving a Max2 with a 14hp engine and no tracks and just 21" tires. I knew the Max2 would have blown through that obstacle with no issues. Obviously, I walked away from the Max4.

That track system has got to add 300 pounds to the base weight and the length would be a problem for swampy areas. It might be ok if it was used on the snow slopes where the increased length might come in handly.

This look reminds me of the tanks of the first World War.

+ Reply to Thread