Winch Size

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winch Size

Winch Size

I have an old Warn RT15 winch which is rated for 1500#. I was wondering if this winch would be too small for a Max IV. I read a lot of guys are running a 3000# winch.

Thanks,
    Mike

Hi Mike, I have a 1500 lb.er on my hustler deep tub big foot an its always got me out. I did buy a 3k for my daughters max2 only because it was a good deal. I'd go with it. U can always swap it out if your not happy. Later Mike

Mike: A few years back I was using a 2500lb Warn on a Jeep CJ5. Run what you brung until you need more. Add a snatch block just in case you need more pulling power, work the thing until it breaks or you sell the machine.

Recreatives used to offer a Rule brand winch (1500lb) as a factory option up until the early 2000's. Swamp Fox and Hustler used a 1500lb winch from the factory (Superwinch I believe, although I may be wrong on the manufacturer). If you think your winch is underrated, just use a snatch block to double the capacity of the winch.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

If it is an older Warn it probably has the lower gearing like the superwinches did, Argo used to put the superwinches on as factory for the 6x6 and 8x8. It'll use less amperage and should pull the IV in most cases with no problems.
    The low gear would pull 1/3-1/2 the speed of the newer cheaper winches with less draw.

Hi Mike, I just wanted to say that I too have a 1500# winch mounted on my MaxIV and I use a snatch block with the winch. When using the snatch block I doubled the 1500# to 3000#s just by using the snatch block that I payed 7.00$ for at harbor freight at one of there side walk sales last summer. I had to use it twice and the winch hardly even worked hard. Just to let you know. Take care and have fun running the mud.

Jerry

I personally would not count on being able to use a snatch block every time because you my not have enough cable to use one. I would make sure it can pull your rig out with a single line. The last (and only) two times I had to winch my conquest out, I had to use all of my cable +15' tow strap +8' of the tree saver strap. I carry an additional 50" of synthetic winch cable in my winch kit too. I even operate in heavily wooded areas, but "Murphy" tried to get me both times. You also might want to look at how much the winches you are looking at draw on your electrical system. Just my two cents

[QUOTE=thorn;166164]I personally would not count on being able to use a snatch block every time because you my not have enough cable to use one.

I carry a shackle (to put through the pulley frame) and a fair amount of rope...you can reach most anything within reason. Rope packs down small. It never hurts to bring along an appropriate anchor of some type..depending on what your conditions are going to be. Being able to double your winch's pulling power could prove to be very important.

Most of the time all you need is a machine length or less of help to get you going. One downside to running on tires. The winch does get used every now and then.

Good Morning everyone, I will say I do agree with both Thorn and buzz on there opinions regarding the 1500# winch,and I have already gone back to HF last month and purchased their 9000# winch for 299.99 on sale and it gave me I think I cannot recall at this time (BRAIN FREEZE) how much more cable length it came with but,I know it is considerably more then what I had on the 1500#, I will not have to use the snatch block any longer. And I do have to carry a fold out grappling hook in my buggy because I am disabled and use a wheelchair and can not get out of my buggy to winch myself out when I am by myself out playing so I have more cable I can throw farther then I was able to do before.And as for power draw, I use the biggest 12volt relay I could find on EBay and have that along with #6 stranded copper and then a 100 amp alternator and a battery that is 986 cca to run all my electrical. I know it sounds like over kill but I do not want to get stranded when I am out playing in the snow and mud,(IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN) by myself. I guess all I am saying is a snatch block can come in handy when you have a small winch. Have a great day and let's keep the mud on the tires and be safe out there.

Jerry

If you really wanted to guarantee not being stranded,then you shouldnt of went to HF for a winch. 9000 lb or not you need to get a name brand 3000-4500lb and get rid of all that excess weight.Badland winches are cheap for a reason,some people have good luck with them some dont.Lesson learned dont rely on luck with a winch.FYI I have a Badland winch that I used a few times and the cable drum hub broke. I have a 3000 Superwinch on my Argo and it is all the winch I will ever need.

+ Reply to Thread