Looking to upgrade battery

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to upgrade battery

Looking to upgrade battery

I have a 2001 argo Bigfoot and wanting to upgrade the battery’s is anyone using a agm battery in theres.

I switched to an Optima Yellow Top years ago as I plow a ton and use the winch all the time to lower and raise the plow. Wanted a deep cycle that I then pugged in each night after plowing.
    I used them when I was 4x4ing a long time ago and they were awesome.

I ordered my Avenger with an Optima battery. It was more than worth the cost. The Optima battery has very low internal resistance. It is good in all weather. An Optima battery is the best choice possible.

Steve

There were 3 Types back when I used to get them. Red Top (Starter), Yellow Top (Deep Cycle) and Blue Top (Deep Cycle Marine).
    Most 4x4 guys would run Yellow Top due to winching, etc. Or just Duals Red and Yellow.

Not sure if these have changed.

I run a Optima yellow top in an Argo. Sometimes the AGM batteries won't charge well with the small charging systems of some of these machines. I actually thought my Optima finally died last year. I found info on the internet that they can be resuscitated if you stick a charger on a non installed battery and run jumper cables over to the AGM battery. The charge took and I've been back in business ever since. Not sure what the science behind that is, just know it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    I found info on the internet that they can be resuscitated if you stick a charger on a non installed battery and run jumper cables over to the AGM battery.
    In my setup I have a Norco Battery charger installed under the seat connected to the battery direct and would just plug in at night after a day of plowing.
    Why would you have to have a non installed battery to charge it?

I have been reading up on dual battery setups as I think I will go this route with my new Argo that i'm waiting for delivery. The basic Argo does not charge the battery at idle you need the engine at a higher RPM.
    Simple things like fans, lights can drain the battery if you run the machine a lot at idle (or so that is what I have been reading). The Alternator kit will charge at idle but is a pain to install and has a high cost and can fail.
    This is the reason I'm looking at dual batteries as it is simple to get a setup that works.
    Last edited by puzle; 01-16-2020 at 05:59 PM.

Here is the best explanation that I have found:

https://youtu.be/Z0y-aRs7f64

Another big Optima fan here. I run them in every thing I own. The Red top is a starting battery that gives the most CCAs, the yellow top is a hybird or blend of a deep cycle and starting and is a good choice if you are using a lot of accessories but still need decent CCA to start your machine. The blue top is a deep cycle for marine and RV use. I modifed my battery tray to accept a bigger yellow top in my Conquest and it is a great battery that has started my machine in sub zero temps many times. I run a lot of accessories in my Conquest including high lumen lights at night. I do have the alternator kit and that does make a huge difference.

The good news is if you want a great battery that fits the older machines directly, Optima makes a Yellow top in a group 51, which is what they call for, This would be a great option for your Bigfoot and they are also the least expensive Optima.

I know my new Frontier will take a group 34 without modification. I am going to use the stock battery for a few months and then put a red or yellow top in it. I guess I need to figure out which one of these will be charged easiest with the 25 amp alternator/rectifier that these air cooled EFI Kohlers are running since a alternator kit is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    Here is the best explanation that I have found: https://youtu.be/Z0y-aRs7f64
    Hmm never heard of this or ran into it with my Yellow Top in the Argo but that could be because it has never been fully dead. Low to the point I cannot start etc but then I plug it in.

First I would like to say if you want to spend close to $300 for a battery, I have no problem with that. This is my thinking, after 30 years playing in the sand and mud and water if I change my battery every 3 years I have not had a problem YET. I buy a good battery, will not mention a name because that causes problems sometimes, I pay right at 1/3 the cost of a top named battery. I believe the main purpose of a battery is to turn over the motor and run the lights. Pretty simple. Just changed out my battery on my TOY lots of new lights, let’s see what happens.

+ Reply to Thread