If you could design your own tire...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If you could design your own tire...

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir

If you could design your own tire...

We talk a lot on here about tires, which ones swim, or don't, which are better in the mud, rocks, or logs, or which ones ride the best, the list goes on and on. But have you ever thought about this: IF you could design your ultimate AATV tire, a totally new design or a hybrid/cross what would it be?

I would want it to swim like the terra tire and have the wide footprint and soft ride of the ASX, easy turning of the rawhide, and mud eating ability of the Mudbug.

What would yours be?

The Argo tire comes pretty close to doing all that you describe. The only change that I would suggest is a larger tread lug for really ugly deep mud.

21100.jpg

F13685392.jpg

[QUOTE=Bud;81337] The only change that I would suggest is a larger tread lug for really ugly deep mud.

How about a more agreeable price tag?

I'd make mine have a seperate air bag system inside the tire that when inflated, pushes the lugs further out (somehow...). :P you could have a low psi tire with minimal lug for rock climbing and a hard tire for mud with big lugs.

I agree with buggyman the cost is a big draw back, but the 25x12x9 Argo tires seem to do great in about all conditions. Much better then the Rawhide III tires.(just my experience with both type of tires) They do not do as well swiming backwards(but most do not do well in reverse) but swim great forward. Each tire has a plus and minus tag attached to it, you just have to find out what it is. I am very satisfied with the Argo tires and recommend them but they are pricey. I have no complaint about the ride.

Designing tires can be a little tricky...you could just as easily come up with a high priced turkey.

I want copies of the argo tire, in several sizes, for $39.95
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

What he said.
    And while we're at it, while it's not "designing" how about just having the tires that DO exist get back into production.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

I've looked at the Argo tire, and although I do like it I would prefer it be wider, say 13+ inches, and carry a much lower price tag. As long as -and I may be wrong about this- they are made specifically for Argo, the price tag will be high. I personally, would like a softer, wider Terra with wider lug spacing on them, and then go ahead and wrap them around the sidewall some. But then what you would have is a tire similar to the Argo with sidewall lugs, wouldn't you.

The lugs on my Terra's are spaced evenly, so that if I cut every other lug it would work out correctly to an evenly spaced pattern. I would have the same tread design, but wider between lugs, which should clean better. I am not sure they would steer or swim better though. I would think the steering should improve due to less lugs in contact with the ground, but I also think the steering might be harder due to the lugs taking a bigger bite. As for swimming I'm not sure what the effect would be.

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    I agree with buggyman the cost is a big draw back, but the 25x12x9 Argo tires seem to do great in about all conditions. Much better then the Rawhide III tires.(just my experience with both type of tires) They do not do as well swiming backwards(but most do not do well in reverse) but swim great forward. Each tire has a plus and minus tag attached to it, you just have to find out what it is. I am very satisfied with the Argo tires and recommend them but they are pricey. I have no complaint about the ride.

Designing tires can be a little tricky...you could just as easily come up with a high priced turkey.
    Yeah but they could always sell them to the QUAD RIDERS!

Quote Originally Posted by 6X6 View Post
    What he said.
    And while we're at it, while it's not "designing" how about just having the tires that DO exist get back into production.
    I could go along with that especially if they were MADE IN AMERICA

+ Reply to Thread