Argo vs. Max vs. ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!

View Poll Results: Which AATV is the best all around off-road machine?

Voters
261. You may not vote on this poll
  • Max

124 47.51%
  • Argo

109 41.76%
  • Other

28 10.73%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Argo vs. Max vs. ?

Quote Originally Posted by whipper-ag View Post
    I kinda heard through the grapevine that the Argo center axle on a 6x6 is positioned lower then the front and rear axle. can anybody verify that? If true, Why? I know that I can sit on the cement with my Spider or my Max,and from a dead stop,spin 360 deg.instantly. If you can do that with your Argo in high gear from a dead stop, on cement, please post a video of it. I have driven an Argo and in my opinion it does not handle as good as a T-20 driven car, especially at high speeds.Which is my next question. Every video of an Argo I see, it's doing 10mph. They must go faster than that. with one exception, Roger S, I've seen him drive fast. Is it because they're hard to handle?
    Anyway, this thread is about whats better, Max or Argo. And you now have my opinion. So let's hear from all you Argo guys why that center axle is lower.And now we're all waiting for that concrete 360. When the snow melts of course.

Whipper

I have an argo, never driven any T-20 machines, can they turn each side of wheels in opposite directions at the same time? That would be sweet

jwiereng

Yes , a T-20 trans can turn each side of wheels in opposite directions " if " it has been modified to split shift. Some Hustlers came from the factory with this modification. I happen to own a Hustler 980 , Bigfoot that has this function. The forum member Brushcutter has modified his T-20 trans to be able to turn each bank of wheels in opposite directions , and at the same time. But , you have to stop first ,put one side of the T-20 in forward , and the other side in reverse. My friend plans to do this modification to his Max II , and I,m going to do it to my Max IV.

RS, can't comment on max because i haven't drove one but love my argo 8x8.

argo 8x8

i am not trying to be one up, i have a 97 argo conquest 8x8, my dad is on his second argo 8x8. my history with these other machines is very limited as there are very few around here. the reason i like argo is that it seems to be more of a work machine, for example. we have had a cow moose and a calf moose in the back with 4 guys riding and a broken front axle, we still swam across a river and climbed up and down hills back to camp. i do like the ride of 8x8 over the 6x6, as for the trans being an open diff style. i could see some improvements in that. but it still works and if you use your brakes to control the spinning side you dont loose out. as for making it turn better, i have played with tire pressures and found that if i run 1 to 1.5 pounds in rear 4 and 2 to 2.5 pounds in front four, this has really changed the turning effort. i like the lower pressures for crossing logs and the sharper bumps.

just my input, thanks
    Darin
    mud and ice

That's a tough choice.

Would also have to be stock models.

I find the smaller argos (u shaped base) best. If you do get mired in the mud you don't have as much surface contact to the mud. Although it can also be a problem acting as a rudder, making turning difficult.

The max is better is water as it has better thrust with little cavitation.

My preference would be either the Argo Frontier or avenger with a few much needed mods.

I placeed a v-shape (pointing outward) plow like piece of 1/8" steel on the front of a couple of my 6x6s . All it really does is create a path for the under belley. Three inch tall piece of steel's bottom is level to the belley of the 6x6 and sticks out just enough that it won't clip the shore on the other side of the water/mud hole (much).

The V-shape pushes the water/muck out towards the tires. Instead of the vertical bow wave most atvs do.

Don't really feel a difference in weight or floatation.

Thanks.
    Last edited by cobalt; 03-18-2009 at 08:20 PM.

but i doubt you could make the mudd-ox climb the hills that i can much less get through the tight spaces i can get into
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

There's a few things involved in my preference and I haven't yet driven an argo so maybe I shouldn't even have an opinion?

I bought my max after being less than impressed with my dealings with the argo (dynasty?) distributorship and they haven't got any better; whereas the max dealer on the other hand has done everything I think I should and endeavour to do in my businesses, personal perhaps but pretty important when you set up a long term supportive alliance.

I have watched a stack of videos and read a lot of comment on these machines before, during and after my purchase and 2 year use of my max2. It may be entirely subjective and/or a reflection on the operator, but where I've seen similiar argo and max machines operating the argos seem a little less capable getting through and out of challenging terrain? Until I drive an argo I won't be able to say.

I have read a couple of comments in this thread of argos being better work suited compared with max being more recreational. I use my max for work in some serious swamps where you can't get out to find a winch point and no-one will come and get you and if I had less traction, balance and confidence I wouldn't go in there! Also I need to drive with one hand a lot of the time and there's no problem as the max is very smooth turning even on low pressure duals. Low environmental impact AND getting home alive are important to me and the max2 does that.

Recreationally my 2 kids sit each side of me and I sit in the middle and straddle the levers which is how I drive on my own. When they get too big I'll put a 18hp in the repco and they can try to keep up on their own!

Thats my two cents on a small, 23hp 4stroke, gets-me-home-alive-and-bloody-good-fun-while-doing-so(would-love-a-springer) 6x6. cheers Tim

I'm not sure if everyone can read this but I think more people chose the MAX because its fairly priced and somewhat easy and straight forward to work on but the argos are the aatv to beat, aside from the Hydratrek but those are 80.000$ + but the argos can range from 10-40.000$ depending on model, acc and etc. In short, the maxes are priced better than argos.

Quote Originally Posted by native_syndicate View Post
    I'm not sure if everyone can read this but I think more people chose the MAX because its fairly priced and somewhat easy and straight forward to work on but the argos are the aatv to beat, aside from the Hydratrek but those are 80.000$ + but the argos can range from 10-40.000$ depending on model, acc and etc. In short, the maxes are priced better than argos.

Quote Originally Posted by native_syndicate View Post
    I 100% agree that the Max is priced better than a comparably equipped Argo. The Max is a much better value in my opinion, and if I wanted an optioned out 8x8, the Mudd-Ox is probably the best value for one of those. It's hard to say Argo is the better machine when they use an open differential that really takes a lot of extra skill to drive vs a true 6 or 8 wheel drive unit. That's probably why most people pick it on the survey.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread