New members, introduce yourself here

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 508 of 722 FirstFirst ... 8 408 458 498 506 507 508 509 510 518 558 608 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,080 of 7214

Thread: New members, introduce yourself here

Hello 6x6 world! I've been glued to this site for the last 2 months learning as much as I can about my 98 bigfoot I bought last fall and what can I say. This is an amazing forum. Between all the knowledgable folks on here and the amazing service manuals available I am pretty much worry free getting my hands dirty. My bigfoot is a well used machine. Well not as much by me as previous owners but I'm getting there. It has about 1700 hrs on it! But still runs awesome.
    Currently doing some bearing work on the back axles and one mid and planning on swapping out idler chains since the last owner replaced only one and in my mind those things should definitely be done in pairs. I do want to ask an opinion on the metal floor pans and maybe someone out there will see this and chime in. The frame rails all seem to be in good shape. No cracks. Just some surface rust. Took the wire wheel to most of that already but the sheet metal floor is toast. Aside from gutting the machine to weld on a new sheet what should I do. I don't personally see the floor having much functional value other then keeping a person from stepping on the plastic tub since there are some pretty hefty cross members right next to it. I was thing of buying a sheet of 1/16 steel plate and cutting it to shape. Maybe welding some little L brackets on it so I can weld it to the frame rails.
    Thanks guys

Welcome Coderson75, the floor pan actually adds quite a bit of ridgidity to the frame to counteract the flex it is attached in somewhere around 11 places reducing in engine,trans flex and keeping most of the rail welds from cracking and axles from going out of alignment etc.. Which ever way you decide to go, hopefully you'll enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by motorman45 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.. im in Vermont. ive found a cool old amphicat for 900$ and an old 85 argo 6x6 for about the same $ and a range of older max 2 and 4's .. how would the older amphicat stand up to say the 85 argo for a good starter toy ?? thoughts
    It depends on what you are going to use them for. If you're just putting around the house with them, pick the cheapest one. If you are going to ride trails with them, I would say that the Amphicat would be the least desirable. The Argo and Max would be comparable. The only main difference to me is the transmissions. The T20 in the max machines is easier to source cheap parts for. I would lean that way just for that reason.

Regardless of which one you choose, realize that when you buy a $1000 machine, you will either be fixing things every time you go out or, if you want a reliable machine, you will need to sink another $2000 into it for new bearings, chain, sprockets, axles, tires, etc. Just go into it knowing that, otherwise you will be disappointed when a $1000 machine breaks parts every time you take it out. I'm not trying to convince you to steer clear of the cheaper machines but just know what to expect.

Ok. Def something to consider fixing. thank you for your input. Hopefuly I can just lay a new piece over the old one and get a good weld without catching anything on fire.
    fbCoderson75
    Antigonish, NS
    1998 bigfoot 18hp vanguard

Coderson75, it's good to have you on the site. Hope you continue to enjoy your Bigfoot.

thanks Mike
    i agree , a cheap machine will need $$ in it or it wont be reliable. at first a toy to get the kids and me into it would be fine for the land we have, but longer trail rides to high alt swamps is what ive got in mind.
    i do like the abilities of the T20 instead of an oped diff with brakes. so its a Max, found a decent one with new parts in it for 2k$ and ill plan on another 1k to go thru the motor , chains and whatever else. ive read up on rebuilding and adjusting the t20's already.. cant wait.

motorman45, just to confirm what Mike had wrote, a cheap machine is a fine starter as long as you plan on rebuilding it soon or using it for short/close rides. Every machine out there can an will break in time due to neglect wear or abuse, ( check out the buyers guide on the home page) member thebuggyman1 will always advise against certain older machines due to the commonly known faults such as the thin axles in the Amphicat ( there really is no comparison to the Argo or Max in reliability) and we don't blame him as some machines are best for family picnic day in the 1-2 acre backyard.
    Both the 85 Argo and the Max's are comparable machines with poly bodies and proven transmissions ( some people get the Argo's easily and some don't), parts are available for both and both had remained in production for over 40 years.

Good luck with your search and have fun with what ever you buy.

HI all!
    well, not technically new, I had a Hustler a couple years ago, but have been without, since.
    Just got a Max, not even sure of the year or model yet, though it does have a 2 stroke engine.
    Got it in a trade, so, gotta learn what it is and all.
    Ultimately, I would like to switch it to a 4 cycle engine, but for now will have to deal with all that speed.........

Ygmir

ETA: I guess I need a new photo of my new rig, to replace that avatar........hahhaahaa
    Henry:
    I don't know where I'm going, but, I'm on my way...........

Ygmir, congratulations on the new-to-you Max. If you have a serial number from the data plate on the dash or side of the tub, there is a thread in the Max forum that will help you figure out the year.

Thanks Mike! nice to be back.
    I'll get that info, I hope it's there.
    looking forward to fixing this one up like I did the Hustler I had a few years ago.
    Henry:
    I don't know where I'm going, but, I'm on my way...........

+ Reply to Thread