My Trackster Build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: My Trackster Build

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Well, we cranked the thing Monday evening, the new driveshaft worked flawlessly, but...
    We went through the Hydrostat priming process with the first drive shaft, but just to be sure, we repeated it before attempting to start it. When it cranked it we waited a few minutes for it to get circulating, then moved the control lever forward and the left track began to roll and the right track not. I called a couple of folks and the general consensus is that the right hydro will have to be replaced. Mack's Trax sells theirs reconditioned for $1245 with exchange. I just don't know what to do at this point but I have NO intention of keeping this thing. I think I first read the phrase "negative Karma" in a post by Hydromike, and do I ever know how that feels. I'm not giving up on it... I've been beaten down by it. I hoped this thing would be a fun project for the kids and I but it went far in the other direction, they HATE it, and cringe when I even ask them to go work on it, the middle son so much that I no longer even ask him to. If you are interested PM me and we'll see what price we can come up with. The initial Parts order was $3800 the new tracks were $1556, there is over $1000 in fiberglass and superliner, $300 in the driveshaft, and that doesn't even begin to get into the countless other $70 to $300 orders this sponge has soaked up. Make me a reasonable offer and we'll see. Read through this thread and ask yourself "if I had put this kind of money into this and worked on it for 20 months and 1 day, how would I want for it?" then we can talk I won't give it away, but we may both be surprised how cheap you can buy the cursed thing for. An hour from now it will be out of my shop and under a tarp. SUCKS to be that close and get shot on the head. So, think about it, while I go cuss at the thing and move it out of my way... If you want it you could be driving it soon.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

You might just have an air leak on one of the lines, or the round, cork gasket between the hydro/gearbox may not be sealing and sucking air. I'd jack both tracks off the ground, start the engine, put the joystick either in the forward or reverse position and let it run this way at an idle, or slightly above, for a few minutes. Sometimes the hydros can be stubborn to prime, and I've had them lose their prime and be stubborn to re-prime. Also, make sure one or both of the release valves are not stuck open, or have something stuck in them, which would cause the hydro not to prime. Don't give up, you're close...

Coop
    Last edited by Coop; 11-09-2013 at 12:45 PM.

I appreciate the info Coop, and yes, those are all things Craig and I talked about, although I haven't pulled the hydro to see about the gasket, because the rt control lever will only move when I work it roughly back and forth then it kinda feels like it goes into a gear and then the track starts to spin, but the lever pulses and will kick out. Either way my heart is set hard against having it and it will be sold. I think it is an old worn out machine that just wants to stay dead, and as far as I'm concerned at this point it can. I'm done with it and willing to cut my losses. There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the project on here anyhow, so it will most probably set under the shed for a very long time, oh well $10000 throwed down the hole...

I say don't let it get you down. Park the dang thing for awhile and work your frustrations out in other projects around the home front. After it sits for awhile the interest will return. I've got several projects working along the same lines, they all eventually get done, although most are measured by the years and not by normal time.
    You are way too close to stop. I don't think interest has been lost on the build at all, I've been discussing this with several folks and our interest hasn't receded. We are just waiting on you to get 'er done.

I appreciate that Noel I really do, but this is it. I would have taken a G for it maybe less, but since there has been ZERO interest in buying it I will just let it set. Really got no choice in that right now. I'm not willing to pay for a hydro at any point but I have no choice in that either so that will happen under protest and with clear understanding that it goes up for sale as soon as it is operational. The thing will leave my property under new ownership one way or another, even if I have to force someone to take it! But first that means getting it going. I made up my mind after the driveshaft episode that once it is going I will only drive it enough to get all adjustments made and sell it. I have no intention of ever driving it through as much as a mudhole in my yard because I know without a doubt that if it were to break in the most insignificant way while in the woods, I SWEAR I would light it up and walk away. I hate the thing and it has got to leave here.
    But thanks for the encouragement

Man that stinks. I understand where you are coming from though. These things can be a vicious beast. So hard to work on, expensive and then what are they worth? I can't tell you what they are worth but I think yours must be worth at least $4k.

I almost burned my garage down with mine today. I mean really really close like I was at the cross roads get the hose or call 911. I went with the hose. Saved the garage and the Trackster, scariest thing I have had with it yet.

I hope time heals some wounds bad and it works out for you in the long run. You have shown you are a good guy and I would love to see good things happen for you.

Nick

I totally see where you're coming from. I got this Max IV and totally underestimated the amount of work it needed. I'm not new to buying basket cases and I enjoy the work but it feels like its been dragging on for months with nothing to show for it but a lot of money spent on parts and things that are almost ready to start putting back together. I figure that I'll be into it for $1500 to $2000 when I get it running. I just hope it will be reliable and solid at that time.

Sometimes you just want that reminder of all the frustration gone from your life.

I'm still sorry to hear that its happening to you.

Wow what happened? I kind of had to chuckle at the irony when I read about the fire, there you are risking your life to save yours and the garage, and I'm wishing mine would burn so I could sit and drink beer while it burned and collect a nice check from my homeowners. HAHAHA, oooo, you are giving me some BAD ideas!
    Outside the shop of course...
    Last edited by brushcutter; 11-10-2013 at 09:18 PM.

If it was just a garage I would have let it burn. It is an attached garage!

The story is too long to give he details but suffice to say, always have a fire extinguisher ready when welding. A fire blanket would have been a good idea too.

You are right about the irony.
    Last edited by Trackster; 11-11-2013 at 08:49 PM.

a few fire extinguishers around the house is about the best money you can spend.

+ Reply to Thread