Full hydraulic machine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Full hydraulic machine

I see a lot of chains for being fully hydraulic. if you want a fast powerful fully hydraulic machine You need a big motor and a variable displacement pump with big displacement wheel motors.
    Last edited by chris davison; 03-17-2013 at 09:16 PM.

I have never looked into a Kid, but the Mud-Ox runs a hydraulic pump on each side of the machine to the chains. So the hydro's act like a transmission and the chain is the final drive. You could do a pump at each wheel, but there would be very little benefit gained and you would ad a lot of weight doing it that way. Not to mention the power it would take to run 6 more hydraulic motors.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

A setup like this would use 6 wheel motors but they would be hosed in series say one 40 gpm pump with a flow divider. Or if you had a tracked vehicle 2 wheel motors 20 gpm each with a dcv and flow control on each. Leave the motor at 2000 rpm and just move the lever on the pump to go from 0 flow to 40 gpm flow for your speed control. To turn move the flow control for each side if one side is getting 20 gpm and the other 10 gpm its gonna turn. O turn move your dcv in opposit directions.( hopefully not at 2000 engine rpm)

Or you could skip the chains, drive one wheel and run tracks. That is basically what all dedicated tracked vehicles do.

I still think they have at least one final drive chain to each side. Besides we were talking about how to build a fully hyd. vehicle If I was going to build a tracked vehicle I would use a v6 an automatic trans to a car rearend mounted high in the rear go thru the hull to drive the tracks and just use brakes to steer with. No chains no hydraulics.

Doesn't the triton Predator use an independent hydro motor for each wheel ???

Quote Originally Posted by chris davison View Post
    I still think they have at least one final drive chain to each side. Besides we were talking about how to build a fully hyd. vehicle If I was going to build a tracked vehicle I would use a v6 an automatic trans to a car rearend mounted high in the rear go thru the hull to drive the tracks and just use brakes to steer with. No chains no hydraulics.

The Trackster has no chains at all anywhere. It depends on what the designer of the machine wants for an end goal. If the goal is high speed then I would probably recommend against the hydro route and go with something like Chris is saying. If the goal is precision control and quick reaction I think the hydro set up is proven to be a good route.

The one thing I would never do is a hydro setup and still use chains it kind of defeats the purpose. You get slowness parasitic power loss high engine rpm noise and all the inherant mechanical problems of chains plus the shock on the chains of instant torq. at high engine rpm as the dcv is moved unless an accumulator was installed on each side to soften this shock.

Quote Originally Posted by chris davison View Post
    The one thing I would never do is a hydro setup and still use chains it kind of defeats the purpose. You get slowness parasitic power loss high engine rpm noise and all the inherant mechanical problems of chains plus the shock on the chains of instant torq. at high engine rpm as the dcv is moved unless an accumulator was installed on each side to soften this shock.

Yes, this is how a Mudd-Ox is designed.

If you were using single 40# or even 50# chain I would agree. Mud-Ox uses double 60# chain. I beat on it when I drove the gt model, and you would never even know there were chains down there. No slapping or slack in the drive system at all. My biggest and only complaint about the hydro is hp requirements and it lacks that zingyness you get from a t-20. It is more like driving a piece of machinery than a toy. The smile factor comes when you use the hydros for difficult obstacles requiring exact driver input. The level of control is amazing.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread