Bearing locking collars

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bearing locking collars

Bearing locking collars

Just got through fixing an axle that went in on me. Opened the lock collar on the outer bearing and slid it out until the sprocket was lined up and tightened the collar again. Went around to the front to pull my bent axle off and try and straighten it and it had a locking collar on the inner bearing. The rear didn't. And I got to looking around and this was the only axle that does. My question is are they all supposed to have two lock rings in the bearings? One on the out side and one on the inner bearing in the middle of the tub???

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Don't know why this got 0 replies... I've seen that and worse, sometimes owners use bearings that have set screws on the inner end of the axles. I don't guess it's a big deal if that's what they had available, as long as they do the trick and hold.

You mentioned a bent axle, were you going to heat it and then straighten it? I broke and welded a front left 3 times, they don't seem to like running while bent, and don't last long before breaking. Also you posted on the same day that you ordered a set of Whipper's axles and necessary components, are you just temping things until your parts get there? Hey, I don't blame you, if so, once you start driving these things, you don't really want to wait for parts...
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

I am pretty much doing a frame out rebuild. Welded up a winch mount and a body ban today. Going to paint the frame while I'm waiting for the new axles. The new axles are bigger and splined so I should have as many bent problems. And I didn't hear the axle I just put it in my 12 ton press and straightened it. Not sure what I'm going to do with them.

Keep a couple with their related parts for emergencies... nah, scratch that, I"m pretty sure your days of having bent axles will end when you install Whippers axles! Bigger, and stronger steel, with no stupid hole through the middle means you will have to smack down against something REALLY hard to bend one.

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-13-2016 at 12:40 PM.

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-12-2016 at 11:32 PM.

Looks like a home-made parking brake.

I don't want to be in that machine when that happens

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    Going into the Archives now, are we, Whipper? That pic is B.S.... (before springered). I did this to a stock axle when that rock jumped out at me. Give me more time & I'll find your weak spots.

Bridget
    Glad you explained that pic, from the camera angle it merely looks as though someone is trying out a front steer/skid steer hybrid...

Back on topic.. Yes the bearings are supposed to have locking collars on the inner bearings and the outer bearings. I know for a fact the collars sometimes fall off the inner bearing and into the channel. What I did was to order some clamp collars from mcmaster-carr. I added 1 on each on the inside of the outer bearing. My axles are in there tight now.

McMaster-Carr

Oh, right Dan, we do tend to get off topic from time to time. Another thing some folks have done is to cut some pvc pipe and install over the axles as spacers between the bearings and sprockets, so that when/if they loose a setscrew the sprockets won't slide around and risk throwing a chain.

+ Reply to Thread