info on used argo's

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: info on used argo's

info on used argo's

I still haven't bought an Argo but am very interested. My only use will be hunting so I really don't want to spend lots on an Argo to have it sit for most of the year. My question is there certain years to stay away from? Prefer an 8x8 but would take a 6x6 if there was a good deal. I know this question has probably been asked but any info would be helpful. I am willing to spend the money I guess if it's worth it but no more then 8-10g's. Thx from a future Argo owner , hopefully.

It depends on what you hunt.....If you are hunting big game or taking decoys to your blind then you may want to consider an 8x8 just for the cargo capacity. 6x6 are also very capable but do n ot have the room as an 8x8 and ride a little harder..... Before you go look at a machine download the used buyers guide from the following link. You may want to stay away from some older machines that have shear pins in the axles however there are a lot of machines that are still running with pins (i have one myself with pins)..for 8-10 grand you can find a really good deal if you are patient.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...r-s-guide.html
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Thx for the info. I would be hunting elk and moose mostly. My friend has a 6x6.and said himself an 8x8.would be better. Is there. Place I can fi.d out which Argos came with shear pins. From what I read so far it seems the 94 and up are easier to switch to hd axles then the older machines. Response, conquest, avenger, frontier, are they all good? Are some better then others? I see rock doctor runs conquest, is there a tear better then others.

Hey tretch

I agree with guyfox that if you are hunting moose or elk, you would be better off with an 8x8. Lots more room.Also,the newer units will have larger tires/more ground clearance,and also the front and rear axles are elevated slightly to make steering easier.I am also a big fan of liquid cooled,and fuel injection,I'm still suprised at how fast fuel injected units start in cold weather.For your price range,if you be patient and look, you can get into a tracked avenger for around that.It's always best to get one from somebody that knows argos,and has gone thru it,ie,chains, bearings,etc. or you could end up spending lots more.Good luck on your "hunting"

1988 and up are splined axle units. at least my 88 magnum is

Depending on where you live, I seen Some really nice argo 8X8's on Kijiji in Alberta for under $10,000. Last time I looked their was a 2009 Avenger with EFI in that price range. As mentioned take the time to look at the drive train and test drive or ride it. There was also a 2011 HDI with ROPS, rubber Argo tracks, winch and I'm sure there was more but that one was $15,000 or so. I don't know if you have Kijiji where you live but it's a great place to find stuff for sale.

Good luck and enjoy.

Camo side up, Rubber side down!!
    2014 Argo 750HDI SE
    2008 Honda Rubicon, Camo
    2008 Jeep Rubicon, Black, 2 door, 6sp, 2 Warn winches.

I've been looking for the last 2 months for a new or newer to me Argo. There has been quite a few machines on Kijiji Alberta but most have either been x oil field machines or ones that needed a lot of work. I personally wouldn't buy a machine that had ROPS unless I knew its history. Too many seem to have been rental machines or from the patch.

I've made the 5 hour one way trip from Fort McMurray twice in the last month to look at machines that were described as being in excellent shape and needing nothing. Both were a mess. One was a 2011 HDI that I was assured was in like new condition with 125 hours. I drove all the way down to Laduc to have a look with utility trailer in tow thinking that I would be bringing it home with me. As I pulled up the first thing I noticed was that it had previously had ROPS on it that was now removed. Pulled the floor boads up to find chains that I don't think had ever been lubed. I jacked the one side up and both the front and rear bearings were gone. I just lowered it and walked away. $15,000. Man, I wanted to punch that guy in the head for wasting my time.

I spent an hour today at Argyll Mototsports in Edmonton looking at new machines. I'm getting real close to just pulling the trigger.

Well... A new one is a lot better than buying someone's problems though. Like the ones you've seen. Good luck on your search.

For sure have to beware. Theirs a lot of things to consider with a Argo. I looked at some too before deciding to go new and I'm glad now I did. It takes 3-6 weeks if you order one but you get the colour and options you want tranny ratio you want. I recommend suspension seats, Maybe a auto lube system?? New, financed over 10 years gives you low payments and you can pay it down as much as you like without penalty. My last quad was financed over 5 years, paid off in just over 2. I don't know how it works in other parts of Canada or the U.S. But I assume it's similar.

Camo side up, Rubber side down!!
    2014 Argo 750HDI SE
    2008 Honda Rubicon, Camo
    2008 Jeep Rubicon, Black, 2 door, 6sp, 2 Warn winches.

Sorry fellas. I thought my profile said my location. I'm your neighbor to the east of you Alberta Argo fans. Saskatchewan. You financed your Argo over 10yrs? Wow. That makes things interesting now. Little more number crunching that's for sure.

+ Reply to Thread