track advice

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: track advice

track advice

Im looking for tracks for my 2000 conquest. I was planning on escargo tracks but my local Argo dealer says they will kill my machine. What are your thoughts on the subject?

I think you may be opening up another can of worms here........I will try and get my 2 cents before others chime in....

The best tracks are what works best for YOU in your situtation....ALL tracks have some advantages and disadvantages...

There has been a lot of heated discussion on here lately about different tracks...

My advice is do your homework and take everything you read and see with a grain of salt.....

Good luck with YOUR choice....
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by spotterwinter View Post
    Im looking for tracks for my 2000 conquest. I was planning on escargo tracks but my local Argo dealer says they will kill my machine. What are your thoughts on the subject?
    I'm going to take this a different route, and guess you are asking about machine longevity???? ANY track system will be harder on axles, chains and bearings. The Conquest should have bearing extensions on the front and rear axles to help with the strain on axles and bearings. And if you use track tuners on the middle axles in place of wheel spacers it will help with the stress on the chains. If you want to run tracks, your machine will hold up fine.....just plan on slightly shorter maintenance intervals.

Thanks for the info, I have the standard 13" plastic tracks now but I need something better for all conditions. I just want to make sure they won't ruin my Argo. The dealer has me worried lol.

Quote Originally Posted by guyfox View Post
    I think you may be opening up another can of worms here........I will try and get my 2 cents before others chime in....

The best tracks are what works best for YOU in your situtation....ALL tracks have some advantages and disadvantages...

There has been a lot of heated discussion on here lately about different tracks...

My advice is do your homework and take everything you read and see with a grain of salt.....

Good luck with YOUR choice....

Think you may be right there Guy.

Read All the track posts if you have time, and make an opinionated (yours) purchase from what you think you have learned about the various tracks and the conditions they will mainly be used in. Then before you install them on your Conquest be sure driveline I sin good enough, or fresh, condition to take the tracks trouble free.

In my experience with Escargo's on my Argo I'd say no it won't kill a machine. As mentioned above if Your machine don't yet have bearing extensions that would be a wise upgrade. The front and rear tires are in the line of fire for obstacles such as rocks, trees or hills anyway so it's worth the investment.

I put the tracks on my machine basically from new and as of yet I haven't had to adjust any chains seen a single mark on the lower tub. I have had the top of the tracks slap the tub a few times as you will get with any track system and looking very closely I can't see a single mark yet. The raised belt design is very stable and when turning around on a steep side hill they stayed on with no problem ( if a track is going to come off it will be when turning on a side hill)

You also have the advantage of builtv in gear reduction when the tracks are on, this is a advantage for snow and swamp conditions then when you remove the tracks and run bear foot you get your normal speed. This being said it's a good idea to run track tuners in the inner axles. I ran with out for a few hundred kilometres before breaking down and putting them on. Rather than buying 8 spacers it's not a bad idea buy 4 and invest in 4 tuners if its in your budget. I just put in a winter extension kit on my machine a few weeks back, if your in a snow area I'd recommend this option as well. It gives you 6" more flotation on each side. This makes your machine a lot wider but your snow capabilities are drastically increased. Now that I have the extensions I wish I had them right from the start, it is something you can add later if you do chose to go with Escargo's.

I'm surprised Buzz haven't give some advice here, he is one of the most experienced track guys here. He not only bought and tried all the different flavours of tracks out there he also built some of his own designs and is brutally honest about his findings weather their his own design or one of the others.

Personally I will say if you do invest in Escargo tracks you will be satisfied. Check out the videos on YouTube. Myself and meany others have posted videos on Escargo tracks as well as all the other brands, that is your best education tools (I love YouTube!!) after watching videos on the different track systems it's your decision.

Here are a couple of my videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Z6Ybu-LNE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvEEPrnJeB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_F_EXY7XQQ

Also look up "ak buzz" he has plenty of videos on Argo and Mudd Ox with different track designs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EEboCETyMY

This is the video that clinched my decision to buy Escargo's.

What ever you decide you will be glad you invested in tracks and enjoy your ride!!
    Last edited by 2014SE; 03-12-2014 at 10:31 PM.

Camo side up, Rubber side down!!
    2014 Argo 750HDI SE
    2008 Honda Rubicon, Camo
    2008 Jeep Rubicon, Black, 2 door, 6sp, 2 Warn winches.

If you go with those tracks It would be the right move.. But any track is hard on axles. I do not know if you have gone to the HD axles. If not, I would highly recommend it. Speaking from experience. They are well worth the price and you will be trouble free. The trouble with the stock axles, is the flange. It will break off leaving you stranded. Yes, it all is a big $ but well worth it. When the dealer said the conquest will not handle the tracks, He most likely meant the axles. The conquest itself will handle the tracks. Yes you do only have a 20 Hp motor but the tracks give you a gear reduction, and I went down a notch in the driven clutch. to give me a little more bottom end. It slows you down a little but it is a lot easer on the motor. At my age I am not in a rush to meet my maker I AM GOING TO TAKE MY OWN SWEET TIME GETTING THERE

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tucker View Post
    If you go with those tracks It would be the right move.. But any track is hard on axles. I do not know if you have gone to the HD axles. If not, I would highly recommend it. Speaking from experience. They are well worth the price and you will be trouble free. The trouble with the stock axles, is the flange. It will break off leaving you stranded. Yes, it all is a big $ but well worth it. When the dealer said the conquest will not handle the tracks, He most likely meant the axles. The conquest itself will handle the tracks. Yes you do only have a 20 Hp motor but the tracks give you a gear reduction, and I went down a notch in the driven clutch. to give me a little more bottom end. It slows you down a little but it is a lot easer on the motor. At my age I am not in a rush to meet my maker I AM GOING TO TAKE MY OWN SWEET TIME GETTING THERE
    Said Argo dealer is probably trying to sell his product too.

Camo side up, Rubber side down!!
    2014 Argo 750HDI SE
    2008 Honda Rubicon, Camo
    2008 Jeep Rubicon, Black, 2 door, 6sp, 2 Warn winches.

I guess I would assume that your local dealer probably sees Argos and the different configurations on a regular basis. I think it would be safe to say given the forum rules prohibiting dealers and such to post on most the threads that your dealer should have more experience than most of us forum members but we can definitely give you insight to our particular applications. If he is a successful Argo dealer he is most likely giving you accurate information and it would stand to reason he would be trying to sell his product because he knows it will work. As others have stated there is a wealth of knowledge posted in the threads discussing tracks (and a little bickering). A lot of what particular design will work best will depend on your machine, terrain, and application. I would read up on what you can find that most looks like what you will be doing and then go discuss this with the dealer. The old Argo Conquest is a different machine than a Frontier or Avenger from what I can see. Maybe ask him what he meant by "kill your machine". If you go back to the dealer armed with more knowledge you may get a lot more out of your next discussion.

As for tracks being harder on any machine I will take a different stance than the previous posts. I feel the Adair tracks I have on my different machines are easier on the machine in general than tires alone. I feel the track spreads the load to all the tires and axles and the track will take the shock out of what any one axle would see with tires alone. Also turning is much easier and again I think this translates to less load on the machines drive components. Maybe this it not true with other heavier or tighter track designs but it is what I have found with mine.

If at the end of the day you are still uncertain as to the best track to purchase may I suggest you relax with say, a tasty beverage.

Happy hunting, Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Thanks for all of your opinions, advice and points of view. I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow to price the track tuners. Have a great weekend!

+ Reply to Thread