Tailgate extenders

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tailgate extenders

Tailgate extenders

Has anyone tried one of these extenders for there 6x6/
    This one was on craiglist cheap new in the box so I thought ATV-001 Cabela's was the # on the box

I need to widen it a bit with longer square tubing which is easy to fit the 6x6, but other than than seems like it MIGHT work. My Powerwagon has a wide short box and a tool box in front by cab but in long ways so I can still fit dirtbikes, so this would put front wheels just on wheel well just about right. Think I will add a gusset on the down tube though.

Still building my custom 6x6 trailer but that is a ways out
    Attached Images

I am not an engineer or a mechanic ,and like everyone I can be fool enough to either speak my mind or voice an opinion now and then ,, ,,, just a thought ,,,,

What is the weight carrying capacity rating of a stock tailgate ?...... having seen one giving way under load it was not a pretty sight and that was only a lawn tractor much lighter than a 6x6 .... be safe .

Quote Originally Posted by BW3 View Post
    I am not an engineer or a mechanic ,and like everyone I can be fool enough to either speak my mind or voice an opinion now and then ,, ,,, just a thought ,,,,

What is the weight carrying capacity rating of a stock tailgate ?...... having seen one giving way under load it was not a pretty sight and that was only a lawn tractor much lighter than a 6x6 .... be safe .
    I thought the same thing at first but then, looking at the photo, I believe the extension is actually supported from the hitch of the truck so that no or little weight is supported by the tailgate.

First off if your useing this I would BACK my machine into the bed. That way the Engine weight is over your rear axle. Then Depending on what Thigkness of tubeing it's made out of tells it's weight capasity ! You Class III hitch can hold around 1500 lbs of toung weight but when you extend it outwerd fron the mount it gets less !!
    Just food for thought ?

You should be fine specially with some v struts, that machine only weighs about 500 lbs or less. Bigger machine would be a bigger issue.
    There also should be no issue with your tailgate if it's not rusted, the metal hinge straps and heavy gauge metal in a 60's tailgate have more metal than some beds today, and built as heavy as some dump truck gates.

Thanks for the input ideas are always helpful

The carrier is rated at 750 lbs and is supported by reciever not tailgate , I am going to make it wider with new square tubing so I would say I might loose a little strength but not much especially if I gusset here and there just for over kill.
    My 1970 Powerwagon has the old super strong tailgate and heavy straps so it will be stong there.

I like the backing it in idea, might take some practice but good idea. Finding a low spot in the ground to drop my truck wheels in will help level ramps, at the beach out here that will be easy to find.

update w/ pics

IMG_20140828_165933_zpsez2fr0mb.jpgIMG_20140828_172237_zpshem0ibwp.jpgIMG_20140828_172225_zpsb7bnl1ae.jpg

Rack works great. I tried putting on forward and it works but Wedge is correct(thank you) in recommending I back on, weight distribution is much better. I need to practice backing it up more up a ramp but I got.
    There isn't much weight on the rack when all tide down so it should handle the bumps well on the road, and maybe I will add a pound of air to middle tires when loaded to help even more.

Glad it worked out for you. It does look a little ridiculous, but then again so does a 6-wheeler on the roof of a station wagon.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

tailgate extender

Wow, I love the look of the backed on version. Looks like some sort of rapid launch assault vehicle.

You wouldn't get 100 yards over here before they pulled you for that The cops would have your vehicle impounded and it would be some ridiculous fee to get it back ( recovery for two vehicles as they would unload it, storage, administration fee, release fee). I would bet you would be looking at about £500 / £600 minimum, could be as high as £1200 / £1500.

+ Reply to Thread