Best way to clean out old nasty Gas Tank

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best way to clean out old nasty Gas Tank

Best way to clean out old nasty Gas Tank

Anyone have any good results from a way to clean out old gas tanks.

I have a metal tank on the surtrek and a plastic tank on the attex.

Also when I put a magnet in the surtrek tank there was a TON of like metalic mud like sludge. It would stick to the magnet and come off that with my fingers like mud. What could this be? (I went in with the magenet 25+ times and everytime came out full.)

Also does anyone recommend any sort of tank sealer/ coating once I get the tank clean.

i would slosh some fresh gas around in it.
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

Why gas?

I have tried Purple power degreaser.

Whats wrong with a garden hose clean it out let it dry for a coupel of days and add fresh gas. Thats all we every do with older cars.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbill335 View Post
    Whats wrong with a garden hose clean it out let it dry for a coupel of days and add fresh gas. Thats all we every do with older cars.

There is still a bunch of Crud in the tank. (^^^^ ALL the METALIC mystery stuff.) Which I really do not want in my origional engine.

Found this stuff called Red-Kote. Seems to be the best truff on the market, easy, and priced reasonably.

I would do a search of electrolysis rust removal. I know a guy that uses it to clean out metal motorcycle gas tanks and says its the trick.

here is a short article on it.
    Electrolysis for Rust Removal | eHow.com

I use a pressure washer then blow it out with compressed air.some old times told me they would put about 20 bolts or nuts in fill the tank halfway with hot water then put the lid on and shake like crazy-I prefer the pressure washer aproach.

If you will search the site there are a couple of threads on this same topic that will help you. Here are two to get you started:

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...-cleaning.html
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...-gas-tank.html

I like acetone and bolts. I've used it on several tanks with no problems and it dry's faster than water.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Electroylisis works good, and my own little thing i like to do is Muratic acid, along with nuts and bolts inside, shake it up till the cows come home, then dump it out and look in at the shiny new surface. I WILL FOREWARN YOU...if the tank is thin, it may make it leak, but i've only had this happen one time.
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

+ Reply to Thread