Another Trolling Motor Question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Trolling Motor Question

Another Trolling Motor Question

I have seen several questions on trolling motors and outboards. But I am getting to old an fat to think of climbing in the back of the Conquest to run a motor. So I am thinking of using on of these. http://www.amazon.com/Minn-Kota-MK55.../dp/B001TXOGVQ Was just wondering how well I would be able to steer with my tires? I know the 55lbs of thrust is plenty enough for me. And I'm not wanting to cross lakes. Just putter around in deep creeks and rives is all. And not swift ones. I could control the speed via remote control and direction via the tires. Motor would be at ideal for the most part. Anyone ever use one, see one used? Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks in advance.

I think your tires would work ok but if you're going to buy the motor you may want to at least compare prices for the remote steerable ones too. Also, you could purchase dual motors like Richards Relics used to sell. One on each side at the back of the machine. That would give you steering controls as well.

I cross a fast flowing river each fall on my annual hunting trip and with a load in the back I could not get to a motor. I made a low "roll-bar" just behind the seat back. On this roll-bar I welded two u-shaped brackets ( to fit a 2x4 ) just above the body. With a 2x4 about 16" wider than the argo I mount the motor right beside me. Its easy to control and steer and on the crossing on the way back I just slide the 2x4 to the other side so that the motor is always on the downstream side. Oh, I welded a nut to one bracket so I could use a small bolt to keep the 2x4 in place. I could get a picture of it later this week if you want.
    Ross

Id like a pic! Or 2 or 3! :what motor do you use Ross? Are you steering primarily with the tires?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I think your tires would work ok but if you're going to buy the motor you may want to at least compare prices for the remote steerable ones too. Also, you could purchase dual motors like Richards Relics used to sell. One on each side at the back of the machine. That would give you steering controls as well.
    I already have one on one of the boats. I was going to put a different one on that boat and would have is laying around. I would like one of those remote steer ones though.

Quote Originally Posted by BC8x8 View Post
    I cross a fast flowing river each fall on my annual hunting trip and with a load in the back I could not get to a motor. I made a low "roll-bar" just behind the seat back. On this roll-bar I welded two u-shaped brackets ( to fit a 2x4 ) just above the body. With a 2x4 about 16" wider than the argo I mount the motor right beside me. Its easy to control and steer and on the crossing on the way back I just slide the 2x4 to the other side so that the motor is always on the downstream side. Oh, I welded a nut to one bracket so I could use a small bolt to keep the 2x4 in place. I could get a picture of it later this week if you want.
    Ross
    Sounds like a good set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Id like a pic! Or 2 or 3! :what motor do you use Ross? Are you steering primarily with the tires?
    Me too please.

+ Reply to Thread