need replacement engine for Scrambler 1100

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need replacement engine for Scrambler 1100

need replacement engine for Scrambler 1100

Hi. I registered about a year ago, but haven't done much to rebuild an old Scrambler I have until lately, so have not needed to log into the forum until now.

It is 1973-1974?, steering wheel, originally supposed to have electric key switch start Briggs-Stratton engine, but instead it has a Tecumseh OH160-170098A engine. the engine is frozen completely, probably overheated.

anyone know how I can find a replacement engine? The engine dimension to fit into the back is 12" x 12", by 18" high (not counting the exhaust muffler that sticks up and out, and not counting the 1" diam., 3" long cylindrical crankshaft shaft with keyway(?)).

I have a mechanic friend who said he would install a new engine for me, but he has not worked on rebuilding small engines (he does stock cars for racing). I don't know if this engine could be rebuilt.

Also don't know if there is a replacement for the original Briggs&Stratton engine.

thanks very much!

Fjord from Texas

Most any single should bolt in (hopefully the old holes are there from the first engine as the big Tec.s are different than most) with an external fuel tank with out major mods.. Check to make sure the crankshafts are the same diameter, you'll need to do something with the exhaust to get it out of the body.

You wrote the engine was "frozen", is it full of water, siezed or just stuck? Pull the spark plug and see if it looks rusty and or will turn over. I just had an issue with one that sat and the flywheel magnets fell off locking up the engine, removed flywheel and it turned over, after repairing that the engine started though it did smoke from bad valves.

There was a member looking to sell OH160 parts in the parts section of site. Predator engines with some mods seem to be the cheap go to for some of the older machines.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks! I will check into Predator engines as well as look for the OH160 parts vendor on the parts page.

My engine does not have water in it and the spark plug looks okay. Frozen means there is no movement of the shaft, not even a tiny bit of give. My mechanic friend put a new solenoid on and checked that the starter was okay. But got nothing when tried to start the engine.

Cheers,

Fjord

Popular engine. Tough as nails. were used in riding lawn mowers and air compressor and Argos. Took one off old air compressor and installed in old Argo 8 wheeler. Check out used lawn mowers at auctions and yard sales.

I personally won't mess with an oh160. Parts get expensive real quick. You could buy a harbor frieght engine for the cost of a part or two on the old oh160s. Also, a scrambler is a low dollar machine, and as such, it is very hard to justify a new brand name engine, and the drivetrain certainly isn't set up to handle the torque or a twin. I'd say the harbor frieght big single is about perfect for your machine.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

hi fjord, There's this to. DuroMax 16 Hp., 1'' Shaft, Recoil/Electric Start Engine good luck mike

Again, thanks everyone! I didn't think that trying to repair the old engine was a viable or cheap option, but needed confirmation on that. Thanks for the various suggestions of other engine brands and models. Yes, this Scrambler is low end but the only one I could afford at the time. The advert said the engine worked, but I found out later that it didn't. The whole thing will take work to repair, but engine comes first. Looking forward to getting into some mud and water hopefully in 2015. Happy new year, y'all.

+ Reply to Thread