Argo or Mudd Ox?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argo or Mudd Ox?

Argo or Mudd Ox?

Since I watched that video of that Mudd Ox at Haspin this fall, I've been thinking of getting one. And then they become the first site sponsor, it's like a calling. So I'm going to go look at them in the next couple weeks. I'm not going to take the trailer as to not mak a hasty decision. My question is, are they worth it? I don't mind spending the money on something that's wirth the money. Looking at the hydrostat drive, makes me wonder why every machine is not? I also like the idea of a mid mount motor. My Conquest feels like it's going to sink nose first sometimes.
    Any opinions one way or the other would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What are you going to be using it for? What kind of terrain? That will drive a lot of your decision. I think the generic response that you will get is to go drive both and decide which one fits you best and that's really the way to go. Depending on who your local(ish) dealer is, that may or may not be the best place to test drive so perhaps you should try to make one of the rides close to you and try them out there.

The closest dealer is about 3 hours away. I don't work my Argo all that hard. I use my Argo to cut firewood, hunting and just general puttering around and checking trails. On have a little over 60 acres, with a couple ponds. And it's all pretty flat easy going ground. But you never know what the future may hold and where I may need it. The biggest reason is that I love the idea of hydrostat drive.

I've driven Argos and Mudd-Oxen, even owned an Avenger for a short time. I hated the standard Argo trans, but really liked the rest of the Avenger.....I have wondered if I'd like the Admiral trans better....

The Mudd-ox is a brute, and honestly i was expecting it to be an unresponsive hulk. I was very pleasantly surprised. It was very nimble, and goes exactly where it gets pointed. Keep in mind that it weighs in at 1800-2000#, more for bigger models and more options. But I've also been told that my MaxII does NOT weigh 600#, Max IV 800#, and the Avenger was NOT 1200#....optimistic figures of stripped down models perhaps?

Mikes advice was excellent, Drive them all and see what you like.
    I bet MattO could be talked into a weekend ride at Bundy hill where you could put in some time on the test drive......I probably could be talked into ride too
    Last edited by thebuggyman1; 12-09-2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: typo

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-12-2016 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    I've driven Argos and Mudd-Oxen, even owned an Avenger for a short time. I hated the standard Argo trans, but really liked the rest of the Avenger.....I have wondered if I'd like the Admiral trans better....

The Mudd-ox is a brute, and honestly i was expecting it to be an unresponsive hulk. I was very pleasantly surprised. It was very nimble, and goes exactly where it gets pointed. Keep in mind that it weighs in at 1800-2000#, more for bigger models and more options. But I've also been told that my MaxII does NOT weigh 600#, Max IV 800#, and the Avenger was NOT 1200#....optimistic figures of stripped down models perhaps?

Mikes advice was excellent, Dive them all and see what you like.
    I bet MattO could be talked into a weekend ride at Bundy hill where you could put in some time on the test drive......I probably could be talked into ride too
    A official test ride at Bundy Hill? Sounds like a good idea Buggyman!!! I suppose we could even call it "working" Somebody has to do it right?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mudd-Ox Inc. View Post
    A official test ride at Bundy Hill? Sounds like a good idea Buggyman!!! I suppose we could even call it "working" Somebody has to do it right?

Matt
    I think I'll start by going for a look see. I'm just under 3 hours from Shipshewana. Is there a good place on site to look at one there?

As far as weight, if the machine has the power to push it, it shouldn't matter. Right?

For me the weight is more of a truck/trailer towing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudd-Ox Inc. View Post

Matt
    Don't forgrt to pay Mike for the day.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread