The Flying Fortress B-17 Bomber

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Flying Fortress B-17 Bomber

The Flying Fortress B-17 Bomber

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-11-2016 at 02:13 PM.

Whipper,

Thanks for shooting that. I always wondered how it would be to fly in a B17. Dad was a B17 Bombardier during WW2. Stationed in England and dropped bombs on Nazi Germany in 1945. The only story my dad told us was about his 3rd mission. On his 3rd and mission his plane was hit by flak, that did not detonate, on the return leg of their bomb run. They landed safely and upon exiting the aircraft, the flak shell detonated. Blowing my dad out of the nose of the B17. Both his lower legs where sliced up bad and his right achilles tendon was shredded. None of the crew where killed.

thanks whipper, that was awesome !! always amazed me how those planes were just thin sheet metal and motors. imagine how the guys felt heading out on bombing runs. i love flying and really enjoyed the video. johnboy

Hey Whip,

LUCKY!!!!

Very cool video. I'm amazed that they let you crawl all over the plane while in flight. Can't imagine being on the catwalk when hitting an air pocket.

George and I got inside the same plane 9 years ago but we didn't get to fly in it. It's funny how big those planes are on the outside, yet so cramped on the inside.

DSC_0018.jpg
    Banned

Very cool Whip! Thanks

I will never get tired of hearing those engines roar .

Thanks for sharing that was a special treat
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

Way cool, thanks for sharing. After reading the book Unbroken I'm amazed at what those old aircraft and the crews went through. Thanks again.

Awesome stuff! Thanks for posting,Whipper. Never thought about the bugs splattered on the gun turret glass. Wonder how many were smack dab in the gunners field of view just as he was puttin a bead on a nice juicy Messerschmitt?

I enjoyed that, thanks for sharing. What a view from the nose!

Thanks Whipper, We have to thank the flyers that took those tin cans in to battle. Wow!!!
    Acta non verba

+ Reply to Thread