Help identifying kohler engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help identifying kohler engine

Help identifying kohler engine

I'm looking at a kohler gen set in a different town on c-list. It's a flat twin and the only #s the owner has found solar are all generator#s not engine #s
    He has 4.5ckm21.rv it is 5500 watt.

I'm looking for a kt17 or larger with a 1" keyed shift for my old Argo. Anyone have any info source that can tell me if this fits the bill?
    I assume it's lower hp (don't know what smallest kohler opposed twins were) and I don't know what the gen sets used for a crankshaft. Couldn't find anything on Google.

You need to check the Crank on a JenSet engine ! Most use a Tappers crank for the gen unit. Best to get one out of a Lawn tractor .

Thanks Wedge. That's one of my biggest concerns since it's hidden away in the bowels of the unit. I'm also guessing it's a low hp twin since the genny is only 4600 watts.
    Thanks.

Are you looking for the Flat twin ? What machine is it going in as thy tend to take up A lot of room !
    I have a Flat twin out of a JD that could use a go through if your interested ?
    Its Not blown up but the carb is broke.(fell over in truck bed)
    Its Cheap but the shipping to you would be the killer?

Yeah shipping is the killer. I have the flat twin now (kt-17). I was thinking of going predator v twin (20 - 22hp) but not sure if rear cylinder will clear tranny ok. I have an early 80s Argo 8 wheeler (HD? Can never remember designation. Twin 50 chain). Actually visiting my folks in Oregon right now and going to stop at Harbor Freight and do some measuring Friday before I go home.

The V twinn is not as Wide as the Flat twin. It is wide at the top not down low near the tranny.

I do not know what mods he did, but, one of the first reviews on HF site is an ic with one in it with picture for reference.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Now I see he has an Argo. If anyone knows what will work in them its Jim !!
    Argos are Not strong point.

Couldn't find that review Jim. Can you give me a link?

reviews 61-70

looks to be in a magnum

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread