Amphibious walking beam trailer

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Amphibious walking beam trailer

[QUOTE=Delduck;208667]Has anyone tried taking a 10-12 JON boat?

The problem ironically, is that most small boats have fairly short sides (freeboard) that don't allow for very tall gear.

Bob, this is kind of what I was thinking about, only this one fastens to the transom.

eide boat loader | We Put Fun Back In Fishing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py5uoDCN3Tg
    Here's another, just some ideas.
    Not sure what equipment your hauling, but like Noel said not much freeboard with a john boat.

I think for us the eide boat loader would work perfect we would just need the balloon tires to stay on top of the mud. We would certainly without a doubt destroy the you tube one. Thanks for the feedback

I made something similar to the eide boat loader. I use it with my ATV to get into remote lakes, its a simple design. I just used a 1/2" diameter black pipe 4" longer than my transome is wide. I welded bolts into the ends of the pipe so I could bolt on 2 mountain bike tires. I secure the pipe/tires to the top of the transome and have an trailer coupler attached to the bow upside down. I flip my boat over and tow it like a trailer behind my quad, having the boat upside down gives more than 12" of ground clearance and also prevents it from getting snagged on tree branches and schtuff.

Got the walking beam's welded, I went with the traditional trailer hub for the tires and a bushing for the beam pivot. After having 3 boats and the Alaska trailers and never having water contamination with them. Don't fix whats not broke. I mounted the tires about 1 1/2" apart just like always. Not sure if a short or long wheelbase is better, the short rides extremely smooth so I stayed with that.
    When I picked up the aluminum the owner was asking about what kind of brake I would use, I told him what the sheet metal shop had. He said they used a sharp edge and that you will get a stronger bend with a radius bend. What he said made sense. I spent yesterday making this brake. I will bend 36" wide with a radius. A pencil fits inside the bend. I bent some smaller pieces and it worked great, now I just need to get the final dimensions and bend the tub.

Made a finial decision on the tub, 50 1/2" long at the top by 45" long at the bottom by 27" wide. The bender worked fantastic! It will come in handy on other projects down the road. I even bent a 7" piece of 2024 x .080 to over a 90*, it took as much pressure to bend that little piece as the 27" x .090 5054 and it didn't crack. So that little radius made the difference.

Here's a shot of the axles.

Waited over a week for Amazon prime to send the fast cure 5200, got impatient and went to Home Depot and bought the slow cure 5200 and glued and riveted it. Guess what showed up after we finished!
    The tub is a lot bigger than I thought, should hold everything that we would cary and then some. I will get some pictures when it sets up.

Have you thought about building the tub out of fiberglass and foam. Or lining the aluminum tub with sheets of foam. Then it would float for sure. I built a 5' x 10' hover craft with 4" of foam and it will float about 1500 lbs.

It did cross my mind when I was searching for a plastic tub but that's as far as I got. I'm sure it would work.

+ Reply to Thread