Modifications for disabled 6x6ers

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Modifications for disabled 6x6ers

Modifications for disabled 6x6ers

I'm a t-10/t-11 incomplete paraplegic(this means there is a chance my spinal cord could heal enough some day that I might walk again, never normal but getting around is getting around) from a car crash that was my fault and I was ejected, causing me to crush two vertabrae right about the bottom of my rib cage. Not that any of that matters, I was just curious if we have many riders who are in a similar situation and what mods have you done to your 6x6s to make them more accessible or friendly?
    The previous owner of my max ii project already added some rollover protection to the factory main hoop so I believe that will help quite a bit for entering and exiting. My wheelchair isn't too much lower than the side of the machine so it should be a pretty easy transfer. My main concerns are some sort of really good padding for the seat and back rest I'm going to custom make and cover them in some decent weight cordura, it's pretty tough stuff and I think it might breathe half decent even though it's supposed to be water resistant, and possibly adding some Paracord grab handles like the Jeep guys run, I have plenty of time to braid them or weave them whichever you prefer to call it. I also have been mulling over the idea of building custom laterals that I can push a button and pop them off and lay them off to the side just so I don't have to fight my right leg too much, it has what the doctor said is tone which is basically to me like a constant muscle spasm where that leg stiffens up and straightens out when I'm transferring or rub my leg against something, if I'm not ready for it can really make doing some stuff a bear. But my idea was to get some of those brass spring loaded buttons like walkers and crutches have to adjust them and sleeve the bottom of my laterals where I will put the lock buttons, maybe, I'll decide if I want to that after it's all back together and I figure out how bad my leg wants to fight me when I'm getting in and out. I'm also thinking of maybe a small blower to pull heat from the engine compartment and blow on the floor area to keep my legs and feet warm in winter, of course it will be switched and most likely I'll get some sort of vents I can close, maybe something like the round vents I've seen in some of the equipment I used to run. I may add a harness to help keep me in the seat better for when I'm doing the rough and bouncy stuff since my legs don't have enough strength to hold me place, I have some movement but not enough to amount to much, I could probably push a dimmer switch with my left foot, the right doesn't really do much but spas out. Like everything I own my body is a work in progress too lol, my wife and I have a joke between us that if it isn't broke or defective in some way it isn't ours haha! I'd also like to build some sort of lift for hunting that I can raise with a winch to pick up deer when I'm hunting, I would build it so it hooked up like the plows do.
    Any other suggestions from other members that have been through the same thing or similar or even just things guys may have seen others do that will make it even more of do all handicap buggy? I'm also going to have a cb, at least then if I have a real bad emergency or get stuck by myself I can radio a call to help, I know I shouldn't put myself in that situation but I'm stubborn and I'm not going to stop doing what I love and living. For the amount of money I will have tied up my 76 max ii I could have bought a pretty decent newer machine but I can't see any fun in doing it the easy way. And doing it this way I can spend a little here and there to get the end result I'm picturing in my mind instead of needing to have a lump sum. Thank you guys for all the help and knowledge you've shared with me so far.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 08-12-2017 at 06:15 AM.
    DanW

dw...put me down in your friend site, i could'nt figure out how. not too good at computers. johnboy va. also i have a friend in a chair..he rides his 4 wheeler, mows his lawn and we run rc boats together. when i visit i will help you with some ideas for your max. i use to design and build amusement rides so i am pretty creative. later, johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    dw...put me down in your friend site, i could'nt figure out how. not too good at computers. johnboy va. also i have a friend in a chair..he rides his 4 wheeler, mows his lawn and we run rc boats together. when i visit i will help you with some ideas for your max. i use to design and build amusement rides so i am pretty creative. later, johnboy va.
    Will do Johnboy, I dont have any rc boats yet but I do have an RC crawler and a basher that's pretty fun to beat up, basher needs rear tires from excessive donuts and my steer servo went out on the crawler from the tires filling with water and being too heavy for the weak stock servo. I look forward to hanging out and riding, I might be able to make it down your way sometime too, like I said my wife has family in Richmond and I don't think I mentioned I have a pretty good friend that lives in Bedford named Doug Roach I need to visit sometime. The only thing I did to my Polaris was add straps so my feet don't get bounced off the floor boards if I get rowdy. I might just let my wife take it over when the max is done, I'm thinking it's gonna be my do all go to now after reading and watching you tube videos of all the stuff folks are doing with and to these machines.
    DanW

Dw I admire the fact that you certainly don't let a disability get you down! I look forward to seeing your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Dw I admire the fact that you certainly don't let a disability get you down! I look forward to seeing your progress!
    Like I've told my friends, I'm too dumb to die and too stubborn to quit. But we all have our ups and downs we just gotta keep pushing. Yes I agree I'm looking forward to progress too, lol, my wheelchair situation is currently holding me back until it is back from repairs, they didn't have a loaner to get me by. But I'm ready to start kicking some a**, I have alot of new parts sitting here ready to go. With the set back from my wheelchair breaking I'm not sure I'll be ready for archery but rifle season should be easy to make, as long as it doesn't snow a bunch, I won't have tracks til next year at least. I'm stoked to get this project back in gear, it's all coming apart so it should last awhile after it's back together.
    DanW

I admire your tenacity in not letting a disability get in your way. I'm also glad a machine like Argo can give you so much freedom. When you get your tracks that will certainly expand your range, as I'm sure getting stuck would be a difficult hardship. You have some good hardware skills the willingness to use them. I wish you the best in getting your chair back, and anything you decide to take on.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by scimanstev View Post
    I admire your tenacity in not letting a disability get in your way. I'm also glad a machine like Argo can give you so much freedom. When you get your tracks that will certainly expand your range, as I'm sure getting stuck would be a difficult hardship. You have some good hardware skills the willingness to use them. I wish you the best in getting your chair back, and anything you decide to take on.

Steve
    They told me Friday, that I will definitely have it back this week, all of the fraudulent wheelchair and equipment purchases that happened after affordable Care took effect really made it tough on the people who genuinely need the repairs and equipment. At least that's what I hear, I haven't been paraplegic long enough to know how it was before, and before my crash I went to the doctors the least amount possible, I had to be in pretty excruciating pain or feel deathly sick. But yes this machine is going to be a game changer. I have a Polaris sportsman but I don't feel as safe sitting on it rather than the max I will be sitting in it, and with very limited lower body movement I can't use body language good enough to get me through hairy situations. I guess both pieces of equipment have their pros and cons, I just feel the amphibious will suit my needs better and I'll let my wife take over the quad, until she gets the fever and decides to jump on board the 6x6 wagon.

All I can really come up with for mods for more handicap friendly are the grab handles on the ROPS, and possibly the quick connect/disconnect laterals, winch, and custom seat. Everything else will just be creature comforts but will make it nice. I'm gonna hold off on a harness until I find out if I need it, a lap belt might do fine. I'm open to suggestions on any mods any one else has seen used or tried themselves.
    DanW

I will ask a guy I grew up with he does it all from chair racing, basket ball, and big hunter. he even made his own deer stand for his 4 wheeler with winches that pull him up and also turns into a hanging rig. He don't have a 6x6 but creative

+ Reply to Thread